Grain Solver - Animated Geometry - Sandman

derjcmp

So I've been trying to get the grain solver to use animated geometry as an emitter but I can't get it to work.

I'm trying to create a sandman effect like this http://forums.odforce.net/topic/11658-flip-fluid-sand-girl/?page=1

but I cant get it to work since the project is quite outdated.

The problem is that the creation frame occurs on frame 1, and If I change it, to say 1-10, it wont give me the effect I'm looking for, I moved from 3dsmax to houdini 1 month ago so be simple in your questions if you can :)

21 minutes ago, Farmfield said:

So grains is based on POPs thus you can set it to emit like any POP setup.:)

sand_emit.hiplc

yeah, but the geometry is static, just the position is changing.

The problem I have is with deforming geometry, I just want the grains to stick to the geo and move with it. :(

Ah, I just thought you wanted the surface emit. If you want to keep the grains contained within an animated shape, I would set it up using a volume gradient to keep the particles at a specific depth in the mesh. It's 15 minutes past midnight here, though, so I won't be setting up a demo for that right now. I'll see if I get the time tomorrow. ;) 

Just now, Farmfield said:

Ah, I just thought you wanted the surface emit. If you want to keep the grains contained within an animated shape, I would set it up using a volume gradient to keep the particles at a specific depth in the mesh. It's 15 minutes past midnight here, though, so I won't be setting up a demo for that right now. I'll see if I get the time tomorrow. ;) 

thank you so much, I'll be trying it thoughout the night.

I'm so surprised by this community, everyone is super friendly here, cheers ;) 

• Like 1

On Sunday, August 21, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Farmfield said:

...but yeah, it's an amazing place. The most positive AND negative about OD Force, though, there's so many brilliant people roaming this place, it's easy to feel really dumb. :D

Totally agree with this I feel like an utter simpleton on here.. so much vex chatter and simplified hou shorthand:

eg "I piped n through x-sop and via a rotating field of advecting barnacles I was able to finally get the copy sop to make digital avocado-toes on the fly"

Uhh.. right.. err.. is there a hip file?

"YES.. and I annotated it"

That kind of helpfulness blows my mind!  I'm a 40yr old long term maya user and I like to use it but man I can't get out of houdini lately and really want to make it part of my know how now it's too useful!

The help ppl supply on here really makes getting into this software so much easier so thank you for all the advice and sharing of hints and tips :) at the moment I'm just trying to learn the nodes and what they can do!

3 hours ago, Farmfield said:

LOL, sorry, yes, I did forget you. This is how you do it using the gradient - the part is 20 minutes in. I'll see if I can find a better tutorials and/or do a simple setup with grains for you.

Didnt mean to be rude or anything :) Thanks mate! Cheers back!

Sorry for the delay... I was hoping to get a scene file posted here before the weekend, but then I just ran into a wall of other stuff to do, so haven't even touched Houdini since last week. But I'm gonna do some Houdini work now and I'll see if I can  take time in between too get a setup up and working, kinda like how I would do it - if this works as I want it to, though I believe it will. :)

Edited by Farmfield

30 minutes ago, Farmfield said:

Sorry for the delay... I was hoping to get a scene file posted here before the weekend, but then I just ran into a wall of other stuff to do, so haven't even touched Houdini since last week. But I'm gonna do some Houdini work now and I'll see if I can  take time in between too get a setup up and working, kinda like how I would do it - if this works as I want it to, though I believe it will. :)

Thanks you so much! 
My setup was fine on the start but started to get unwanted deformation on the end. 
Basicly did everything on a static T pose then copied the P from the animated geo to that. Didn't work out though.

Yeah, this is an absolute mess - I still haven't gotten to setting it up and I probably can't before next week. I've been seriously busy over the last couple of days because I will have some downtime over the upcoming week. I'm doing a pretty extreme upgrade as well as migrating to CentOS on my main workstation, so I had to get a lot of work out of the way to be able to do that at all - as well as spend time making sure I have everything I need to start the migration. So that's why I haven't been active here or any other thread these last couple of days. And tomorrow I'm starting to migrate hardware and monday-tuesday, I'll be starting with OS and apps, so now I won't even be avle to run Houdini until mid of next week...

But yeah, I just wanted to fill you in why I haven't managed to get this stuff done, I feel kinda stupid having to push this in front of me time after time. :(

Edited by Farmfield

Well, I want to create a good solution for this either way, so I will absolutely get back to it and do a good setup, the timing was just really off. My bad.

Maybe it'll be the first thing I do on the new build, though, I have to feed those 20 cores something, maybe they like grains... :D 

• Like 2

I just found out how easily my pc.. which I used to think was fast.. gets eaten alive doing a medium res fluid dust cloud :/ I need a bank of blades now lol!

Looking forward to seeing how this is done too thanks Farmfield :) 

Edited by anthonymcgrath