Pyro cloud optimise refine.. caching and detail

anthonymcgrath

Network looks big but its just one shooter copied 10 times and one plume copied 10 times. Did it this brute force way so I could map everything to the interface on the subnet. Pretty much just direction controls, some noise and axis clamps. The best part is you can wedge off the control panel for procedural explosion generation.

explosion.68.mov

PyroFX Emitter.hdanc

Capture.JPG

Edited by Yon Anadeyo
  • Like 1

good god that is an epic explosion - heaps of detail in there!

I'm just caching out my low res explosion now - the upres seems to be super happy now its a .bgeo.sc file sequence.. once i've done this i should be able to cache out the upres as a .vdb seeing as that doesn't need to go into any other hou networks :)

1 minute ago, anthonymcgrath said:

good god that is an epic explosion - heaps of detail in there!

I'm just caching out my low res explosion now - the upres seems to be super happy now its a .bgeo.sc file sequence.. once i've done this i should be able to cache out the upres as a .vdb seeing as that doesn't need to go into any other hou networks :)

bro I made that before I knew how to wavelet haha could be more

as for caching as .vdb - I never even knew that was a format :\ I always convert to vdb and volume compress but as for the format...I dunno

Edited by Yon Anadeyo
  • Like 1

Haha I only know of vdb from openvdb so I figured that it was exportable in hou somehow!  I found a tutorial on solidangle for piping out a vdb file so arnold can render it. I did some reading and it turned out vray could do the same so I figured it would work there and it seems to.

I need a vdb seq out from hou so I can load it into maya and render with vray. The rest of my scene is all vray lit and rendered so it would be awesome to get a nice detailed explosion in the scene too :)

• Like 1

Yeh it's a cool way of getting the volume data out to other render engines. Alot of vfx houses seem to use the openvdb altho they've probably written all manner of extra stuff for it. 

I'll bear you in mind if I get stuck mate.. I've done alot of the vfx work like destruction etc. It's not perfect but it's pretty darn good and I've had enough of looking at this project haha.. the big Pyro cloud I'm working on is the last piece really. So if you get any cool test scenes up and running that you think would look cool and Pyro like gimme a shout :)

15 minutes ago, Yon Anadeyo said:

I know how to run large scale clustered smoke sims.. imma walk my dog then whip something up

Your probably not allowed to attach your scene but if you can ill put it right in

sadly i cant attach the scene as yet as i haven't fully laid it out at the end anyway and its very geom heavy anyway.  I can more than likely pass you a low resolution scene for placement and idea of camera view - it would be a maya scene so if you know how to work with that in houdini or at least get out the cam/basic-geo then your welcome to have a play.  The cloud is quite standalone though if you get me it can be worked on in isolation mostly and it'll still drop in and look cool as i've got a heap of other stuff in front of it being flipped at cam too :D

very grateful for your Advice btw thanks again - i've just loaded my low res bgeo.sc into my upres and wow the difference is maniacal with the extra wavelet detail in there! :D

and

okay here's how i'm looking...

this is my base resolution rendered in maya with vray using a hdr env and GI for lighting..
smokecloud_render_lo.JPG

and below is the fluid (albeit different shape cos i made some tweaks to initial geom) using the upres with wavelet...smokecloud_render_hi.JPG

its certainly chugging processing this data but i think the results are worth it overall.  I need to suss out how to get a normal pass out too so i can adjust lighting in comp - and i've got a zdepth pass too.

quite happy overall - its nice when ye make progress :)

• Like 1

ay looks like you got it man

you can fake scale by just copy your cache ( transform cache and merge with pre-transform, repeat) really essential trick.

this is a frame from a .25 cache I setup in an hour..i would cluster properly in a real setup to get rid of repetition and the squared-off look. and re-time for the big slo-mo

frame.jpeg

Edited by Yon Anadeyo

Excellent I'll give those tricks a shot!  The one about merging and pre transforms has lost me tho but the result is very cool! I'll try the sharpen trick in comp.. my final res is 2580x1080 so I need every trick in the book to make it look slick!

big thanks James for your advice (i noticed your name beneath your avatar) really appreciate it :)

It is simply this..rotate/move your cache and merge back.

Its like getting a whole bunch of free sims haha

but you have to watch for repetition, like in my last picture you can clearly see me copy and move my sim up twice lmao

Capture.JPG

yap its the dumbest trick in the book LMFAO but I do it literally every time.

And to take that technique further, if you cluster your sim, which is breaking a large sim into like 10 smaller ones

you can re-arrange all the clusters and completely avoid repetition - and even better copy stamp your clusters

that's like the main trick to pulling off large scale clusters ( as far as I know ) copy-stamping clusters with time warps and blendshapes.

unless your with ScanlineVFX and you just throw everything into one big box and run 400TB sims 7 times over the weekend. Like they did for mothership touching at around the 1:10 marker

just bonkers amount of data

Oh now your teasing. I haven't seen id2 yet (altho i did remember seeing the Animatic at mpc montreal for the burj dubai colliding down into the eiffel tower hahaha.. myself and Vincent whose at Weta now we're howling with laughter at the insanity of it :D 

I'll have to resist that clip lol! But yeah I can imagine they just go sod it and grind the entire server to its knees to do stuff that big!

well i dont quite know whats happened here - on the left is my emitter - a sort of moon shaped thingy that scales out

then i've done the base resolution sim (middle) - caching it out as a .bgeo.sc - seems to work all okay.

then i'm using the upres network but and pointing the gas upres node to my low res .bgeo.sc with the FILE option as a source - as was described above.

the problem is half way along the upres seems to end up confined and constrained to a bounding box - which is a pain in the blox because in the resize_container node i have max bounds turned off.  So i'm a bit stuck here :/ 

pyro_upres_issue.JPG

shot0910_pyro_cloud_v01.zip

Edited by anthonymcgrath
added pyro cloud scene

i think i'm gonna need to look into this copy/duplicate trick you done there James - i'm getting some nice results but i still would need to crank up the resolution massively for it to hold up at 2580x1080 pixels (that'll teach me!) so i think i'm gonna need to do a slightly more 'contained' sim ball of pyro smoke, then duplicate copies moving out wards in my moon-arc shape thingy maybe ?