FEM thing

anthonymcgrath

So thought I'd share a little test render I've done this evening.  I watched particle skulls tutorial on Yt about moving FEM things and basically got inspired.. oh and it might be Erik Fergusons fault too...

So essentially it's a platonic solid.. convert to lines.. poywire it.. convert to fem object.. add some mountain sop noise then set that as the rest geometry in the fem object inside the autodop.  A simple impulse force with some basic values in z and a sin function in x gives it some motion forwards with a little left right.

I did want to get it to fracture after a few tumbles but couldn't suss that out tbh. Maybe next time.

Exported to alembic and piped into maya rendered with vray.  Quick comp in afx with zdepth.

Hope you enjoy :)

Ant

• Like 4

https://youtu.be/nmoL_Puuo9s

Another unsettling fem thing... used the embed hi res option plus drove the mesh to deform more with animation pre tet sop. Had to create a static version of my ttet mesh which took some twiddling but it seems to work nice :)

Uvs aren't great.. couldn't figure out how to really control em esp along the long tendrils... mainly because the tendrils grow and shrink.

Edited by anthonymcgrath
  • Like 2