timer in vex, or time when condition is met.

Hi, I am basically at lost trying to figure out how to record the time when a certain condition is met in a simulation. I am using pop wrangle in this case.

The basic problem is that once I set the value to @Time. the attribute get linked to the global time attribute, basically the clock is still running. I know is pretty logical but presents me with a problem... how can I record the exact time when a condition is met.

You can take a look at the file for an example and if you see the attributes in the geometry spreadsheet you will see how state and time all start appropriately but time_start remains running even after state changes.:wacko:

i@state = 0;
f@time_start = 0;
if (dist < outRadius && @state == 0 )
{
    @time_start = @Time;
    @state = 1;
}

timer.hiplc

Edited by Butachan

Hi

You are resetting the particles attributes i@state and f@time_start on every frame, so your test is always true. :) Try to run it with these modifications.

//v@Cd = set (1,1,1);
//int state = 0;
//f@time_start = 0;
float origin = 0;
float dist = float (@P.y) - origin; 

if (dist > 2  && @state == 0 )
{
    @time_start = @Time;
    @Cd = set (1,0,0);
    @state = 1;    
}

-b

• Like 4

OMG thank you bonsak...I can't believe I was stuck in this, kind of obsessively actually, this was of great help!!!...

Basically this is one of those basic functions I will probably use over and over again in the future, so I couldn't stop thinking about it all day. I guess sometimes is better to sit back right?

So thank you man.

Edited by Butachan
  • Like 1

Attrib Fade is also a great way to get some procedural, time-based attribute modifications. I like to use it to fade from simulation impacts or sop solver accumulations.

It's all VOPs/VEX, so you could pick it apart if need be, but by itself, Attrib Fade is pretty powerful!

• Like 1