Novodex

Has anyone seen this?

Novodex - apparently it'll support the hardware PPU (Physics Processing Unit) that they make. There is very little information about the API for this; I have no idea if it solves in software if the hardware is not present.

• 2 months later...
Has anyone seen this?

Novodex - apparently it'll support the hardware PPU (Physics Processing Unit) that they make. There is very little information about the API for this; I have no idea if it solves in software if the hardware is not present.

18129[/snapback]

Prolly I am not too competent - but I heard some people argue that ODE is a good option for a dynamics solver. On the other hand the last novodex seems to do pretty good. So - why ODE? Why not novodex?

1)I know - it's "closed" - but it doesn't mean that it's not usable.

2)It seems to be OSX/Windows only. On the other hand XSI5 uses it and it is ported to Linux - so some linux-ported novodex will prolly appear.

3)It's not free - but it doesn't mean that you have to pay for just playing with it and writing your non-commercial solvers.

Just why not choosing the best possible sollution? (I am not saying that novodex is the best one - but it seams to be better then ODE)

I could be wrong, though.

Guest Guest

Novodex is far better than ODE at least as far as it is implemented into XSI 5.

(which has both ODE and Novodex)

Novodex does not need the hardware but would be

accellerated by it if it were present.

ODE seems to me good for games and not mich else.

Keep in mind I only have experience with it through XSI.

Hated it.

Novodex - begining to really like it.

Its fast but sometimes collissions are screwey until proper adjustments are made. This is true of all RDB solvers.

Looking at the DOPS implementation in Houdini 8 I am really impressed. Very well done.

My 2 cents

Lyn

> why ODE? Why not novodex? Just why not choosing the best possible sollution? (I am not

> saying that novodex is the best one - but it seams to be better then ODE)

why not get an implementation of BOTH?

I mean, why bother with either? because the Houdini (and prisms) way of doing things involves having more than one way to solve any given problem. ODE, DOPs, Novodex, and any other system will all have advantages AND disadvantages. Use whichever is best suited to what you are working on, if they are all available...

so, do you want to write a Novodex interface in DOPs?