Polywire misbehaving

I am having trouble with polywire creating proper joints especially when the width of the joints is disparate. See attached examples. Any suggestions on how to rectify this? My work around has been to chop the tree up and convert it into vdbs and then convert that back into a polygon soup but that's pretty slow and creates much heavier geometry.

Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 10.50.52 PM.jpg

unhappy_tree.zip

You may want to simply discard the auxiliary portion of the file. It just seems to create duplicate faces when you polywire it. Or at least process them in a separate way and merge them back in. You may want to return to your tree generating software and look for grouping options for export.

Untitled-1.jpg

Switch between Terminal and Auxiliary:

tree_trunk.gif

Edited by Atom

The tree growth sim I wrote keeps track of axillary and terminal buds for the branches. That's the groups you are seeing. The fix I ended up with was to separate the branches by degree and polywire them separately and then combine them back into a polygon via volumes. That allows polywire to compute joint scales, e.g. between the main trunk which is degree 0 and the lateral degree 1 branches. It's just heavy and expensive. I filed a bug report with SideFX. Polywire should not behave like that :-)

Anyway, here is an example with some leaves on it and the volume conversion for the trunk.

crazy-tree2.jpg