Occlusion Help!!

well Im trying to render out different render passes. THe problem that I am having is that i looked at the other topics on this forum and someone suggested making an occlusion pass in the VOP editor and then just exporting that. How exactly does that work? I made the Occlusion pass in the VOP editor and just connected the output to the surface color and applied it to the objects in my scene. But it didnt work so I can assume that I am doing this completely wrong=) Any help would be awesome, thanks! (Also quick note, I am trying to a shadow pass/ambient occlusion pass)

Place down an Occlusion VOP and wire the input into a Parameter VOP. Put a new like "occlusion" into the variable name and clik the "Export" button.

Now in the Mantra ROP you can go the Deep Raster tabs and render "occlusion" to either the same pic file, or to seperate files.

This lets you multiply in the occlusion amount in the compositing stage.

Does this help?

Jason

yes it definently does help..I guess I have a second part to my question then. =) Im not sure how to render out in layers. Right now Im working on a shadow pass. Ive made all my objects and then ive added a shadow matte shader to my table (where I want my shadows to be cast) and then the actual objects that are casting these shadows I turned on Phantom. Im still getting issues with this method though. Any help would be awesome and I totally appreciate the time you have taken to help me so much already! Im just trying to get the hang on rendering in layers=) Thanks!!