Trouble Assigning Weights To Eyelids

Gurbo

Howdy,

I'm just rigging a head and I'm having trouble with assigning the eyeballs to the bones.

The capture regions for the cranium covered the eyes when I captured the geometry. I then used the Paint Capture Layer to weight the neck and head area. Using the Edit Capture Weights I reassigned the weights to the eyeball geometry so they could turn with the eye bones. I tried to do this for the eyelids. (The upper lid bone rotates from the centre of the eye ball).

A yellow warning tag appeared on my capture tiles. The help said that some 'cregion' had been deleted and that I need to use a Capture Correct SOP or recapture the geometry again.

Can anyone please illuminate me as to what this means and what I need to do? I'm finding the capturing of smaller bones within the region of a parent bone somewhat difficult.

Tar

Gurbo

you may have removed a bone from your capture region list - that could cause the warning...just throw down a capture correct to get rid of the stale regions...

as for eyes....

I'd recommend removing the eyes from the general head geometry and putting them into their own objects (L_eye, R_eye)...that way you can capture them and control them on their own and not have to worry about the head at the same time...

as for eyes....

I'd recommend removing the eyes from the general head geometry and putting them into their own objects (L_eye, R_eye)...that way you can capture them and control them on their own and not have to worry about the head at the same time...

18574[/snapback]

Aah, Now I get it. (Had to read it several times)

Yeah, funny you should say that. I've been trying to wrangle the head mesh and the eyes altogether in one OBJ tile using visibility SOPs. I'm sure this will make things easier.

Also I think I was making things a bit more difficult because I'm trying to interpret a Maya tutorial. Maya doesn't have that nifty little trick of offsetting a bone from it's parent (Cntrl+MMB on the parent when creating bones).

I think I can now simplify my rig.

Thanks Arctor!

Gurbo

yeah...Maya doesn't really have bones - just 'joints'....but you should be able to offset them...

a good rule of thumb (at least from my point of view) is to strip everything down to it's component parts (like separating the eye geometry form the head) and dealing with them individually, in the case of the eyes you won't need to capture them at all - if they are separate objects you can just parent them to the eye bones, which are then children of the head bone(s)...

oh and try to avoid the visibility sop when doing stuff like this - it's funky when you start selecting stuff for point groups...