Marcel Christ Color Burst RnD

dxhhx

Hey guys,

So I saw this series of photographs by an artist called Marcel Christ and wanted to produce a similar effect.

Here is a reference image:

visualartists_11732.jpg

I have been trying for the past few nights and wasn't able to get anywhere close to this look. There is a lot of detail once the smoke leaves the source and I wasn't able to replicate that. Is it a matter of having a lot higher resolution?

Here is a render of what I have now:

Current file: 0018_od.hip

0003.jpg

Also there is a test on Vimeo by Jeong Yeon Son that looks great: 

I don't get how to produce so much density from these seemingly small sources (the density seems to increase after it left the source..)

I'm going to continue working on this and try different things, if anyone can take a look at my current file or has an idea I would love to hear it!

Cheers :)

H H X

First of all, your resolution is obviously too low, much to low.

And I guess you miss a point. This is an explosion. Debris is flying around, but the main pressure is coming from the center of the explosion. The trails are only a part of it. If you watch closely you'll realize that the video you posted consists of two elements, trails (kind of low res) and a center cloud which expands rapidly.

P.S.: Since the image is a still, don't forget that it is heavily photoshoped.

• Like 1

Just a quick tip :

1) Create a particle sim that matches the movement / trails that you like - you may need to use a trail SOP to add enough points per frame, or use a pointreplicate.
2) Pipe the particles (with relevant @pscale * @nage type of attributes) into a cloud SOP using "Point cloud model".
 NB : For more visual control, you can copy a sphere to the particles first, get a visual look that roughly resembles the shape you want and then use the "polygon model"
3) Fiddle with the settings to get a nice shape and then pipe into a cloudnoise SOP to add detail.
4) Add a cloud shader and pay attention to the "scattering phase" settings to get back scattering etc, and tweak away!

When I get home later I will post a sample file.

Matt.

Edited by Matt_K
addition
  • Like 2

Here's a very quick example file - and a low res quick render example.
There's a neat way to customise the colours and quite a bit of control over the shape, and I'm sure with a bit of time and thought it could be improved greatly!

Hope this is helpful!
Matt.

Screenshot from 2017-03-24 02-32-53.png

cloud_burst_setup_basic_H16.hip

Edited by Matt_K
correction
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Matt_K said:

Here's a very quick example file - and a low res quick render example.
There's a neat way to customise the colours and quite a bit of control over the shape, and I'm sure with a bit of time and thought it could be improved greatly!

Hope this is helpful!
Matt.

Screenshot from 2017-03-24 02-32-53.png

cloud_burst_setup_basic_H16.hip

Holy! I've been looking at the file for the past hour or so, learned alot while jumping back and foward through the nodes, thanks for the file and the tips!

• Like 1

• 11 months later...