Obj

YOu can't export sequences of BGEOs in Houdini Apprentice  (coz it's free!) - but you can a bought version using a Geometry ROP.

http://odforce.net/wiki/index.php/HoudiniApprentice

19152[/snapback]

Why did they exclude this Geometry ROP. What can somebody do with this obj files alone. That there is a watermark in the render ,I understand but why not exporting obj possiblity?

Many thanks!

Why did they exclude this Geometry ROP. What can somebody do with this obj files alone. That there is a watermark in the render ,I understand but why not exporting obj possiblity?

Many thanks!

19153[/snapback]

It would make it easy to use Houdini Apprentice as a full animation package then, merely exporting geometry to a licensed version for rendering without watermarks. For medium size facilities, you'd need only one licensed version then, no? Apprentice could be used just as a front-end for free in this case.

We should be so lucky that it even supports .obj for still models, IMHO. Since .obj is not really lossy like a watermarked JPEG is you make a parralel with rendering. For a truly secure route, it should only read/write encrypted/watermarked .bgeo files (which would be able to support sequences but switch any Houdini session down to Apprentice mode), but they've allow poeple to interchange freely between packages using .obj.

I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth in this case. :)

It would make it easy to use Houdini Apprentice as a full animation package then, merely exporting geometry to a licensed version for rendering without watermarks.  For medium size facilities, you'd need only one licensed version then, no? Apprentice could be used just as a front-end for free in this case.

We should be so lucky that it even supports .obj for still models, IMHO. Since .obj is not really lossy like a watermarked  JPEG is you make a parralel with rendering. For a truly secure route, it should only read/write encrypted/watermarked .bgeo files (which would be able to support sequences but switch any Houdini session down to Apprentice mode), but they've allow poeple to interchange freely between packages using .obj.

I try not to look a gift horse in the mouth in this case. :)

19154[/snapback]

Hello, thanks Jason, now I understand.

Wouldn't it be possible to Save each geometry (bgeo) per frame: frame1, RMB save geometry, frame2, RMB save geometry, and so on...

Thanks,

Bernard

Hello, thanks Jason, now I understand.

Wouldn't it be possible to Save each geometry (bgeo) per frame: frame1, RMB save geometry, frame2, RMB save geometry, and so on...

Thanks,

Bernard

19155[/snapback]

Yeah, which is why its not so secure. And you certainly can't build a pipeline around that - well, not an efficient one. ;)

Yeah, which is why its not so secure. And you certainly can't build a pipeline around that - well, not an efficient one. ;)

19157[/snapback]

Yes I see. For 5 or 10 frames it's do'able, but not for a 100 or more...

Many thanks for the fast reply!