Square sawtooth on circular base

houdini1987

Hi everyone,

I need a help in modelling a shape for a project. I am trying to model square sawtooth kind of cube over a circular base. It needs to follow the base circular profile with alternate height. What is the best way to do it? I am looking to do it in procedural way but not getting there. I have attached a roughly drawn reference image. Any pointers will be helpful.

Thank you for your time.

wooden tooth.png

58 minutes ago, konstantin magnus said:

Here are two solutions.

shoe.hipnc

Thanks a lot for the file Konstantin . Seems its a H16 file so probably not picking up. I am still on H15. If possible could you explain the steps or if you happen to have H15 an example file would be highly appreciated.
Cheers. 

Sawtooth_001.PNG

sawtooth_002.PNG

The boole example can be redone with a cookie SOP. Just duplicate some boxes and subtract them from a scaled cylinder.

The polyextrude example is a circle that gets divided (bricker polygons), sorted by X direction, any other prim gets put in a group, the extrusion node creates another group for the extruded prims, then the groups get combined (only what they have in common), and then the combined group gets extruded for the teeth.

But you really should get H16. At least for checking.

16 hours ago, konstantin magnus said:

The boole example can be redone with a cookie SOP. Just duplicate some boxes and subtract them from a scaled cylinder.

The polyextrude example is a circle that gets divided (bricker polygons), sorted by X direction, any other prim gets put in a group, the extrusion node creates another group for the extruded prims, then the groups get combined (only what they have in common), and then the combined group gets extruded for the teeth.

But you really should get H16. At least for checking.

Thanks, I will try this method.