Playback Simulation Not Working

evanrudefx

Hey,

I am caching out my ocean simulation. Inside the dop network I went to the output node and hit save to disk. I cached out around 112 frames. Back in obj level I click on my dop network and hit playback simulation. However, it keeps loading the last frame of the simulation, even if I am on frame 1. The only way to get it to work is to turn off play back simulation, then load ONLY frame 1. Then turn play back simulation on again. After that, I can load the the rest of the cache. As I advance foward on the timeline, it updates as expected. But if I tried to load a previous frame, it won't update. For instance, it I go to frame 10 from  frame 1, it updates correctly. But if I try to go back to any frame before 10, it won't update. However, it I go to frame 15, it updates fine. But now nothing before 15 will work. What is going on?

thanks 

Instead of caching from within the AutoDopNetwork, cache from the Compressed Cache node inside the import node. After you have a compressed cache remember to check Load From Disk. Once you have a Compressed Cache you can then generate a Surface Cache. This is a two step process.

I really don't see much benefit from caching inside the AutoDopNetwork.

14 minutes ago, Atom said:

Instead of caching from within the AutoDopNetwork, cache from the Compressed Cache node inside the import node. After you have a compressed cache remember to check Load From Disk. Once you have a Compressed Cache you can then generate a Surface Cache. This is a two step process.

I really don't see much benefit from caching inside the AutoDopNetwork.

Not sure If my reasoning is correct, but I still need to cache the foam. If I cache the sim file directly, I can run the foam sim over it. It I cache only the compressed cache and the surface cache, I will have to completely resim water just to cache the foam.

If you examine the whitewater network you will find it references the Compressed Cache node for generation. This means once you create the compressed cache you can generate whitewater from it without re-simming as well as being able to tweak your final fluid surfacing without re-simming too.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Atom said:

If you examine the whitewater network you will find it references the Compressed Cache node for generation. This means once you create the compressed cache you can generate whitewater from it without re-simming as well as being able to tweak your final fluid surfacing without re-simming too.