Parametric Modeling problem - simple question

Sabes

Hey friends,

for me as a beginner in Houdini it's complicated to understand what Houdini tries to tell me. Maybe someone could help with one sentence. I'm simply modeling for training purposes and try to make some parametric holes into a curved surface. Cylinder+Sphere -> extruded with back -> tubes intersecting! The Tubes intersect with the geometry as I want them to. It's also possible to add and decimate the number of cutted holes by simply adding rows to the connected geometry. So far so good. But in the next step I try to give the cutted holes a bevel at the edge. Houdini shows up an error! What does this error mean? How can I achieve beveling an edge when working with parametric models? I tried to convert it into a vdb but the resulted mesh looked terrible! 

Cheers,

Sebastian

Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-13 um 14.46.39.pngBildschirmfoto 2017-04-13 um 14.47.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-13 um 14.50.32.png

You are trying to bevel border edge. It does not work in Houdini. Not an error, just a warning. If you specified bevel distance, but there is no bevel, it may indicate split edge loop between surface and cutouts. Turning point numbers on or adding Point Jitter or Smooth nodes usually helps to spot such problems with geometry. To weld surfaces, use Fuse node.

border_bevel.gif

Edited by f1480187

37 minutes ago, f1480187 said:

You are trying to bevel border edge. It does not work in Houdini. Not an error, just a warning. If you specified bevel distance, but there is no bevel, it may indicate split edge loop between surface and cutouts. Turning point numbers on or adding Point Jitter or Smooth nodes usually helps to spot such problems with geometry. To weld surfaces, use Fuse node.

Hm, ok...I see.

But isn't it possible to take those edges and say via grouping and a boudingbox that those "seems" should be beveled? Tried something like this here: 

Bildschirmfoto 2017-04-13 um 16.35.34.png

8 minutes ago, f1480187 said:

I'm not sure what's going on there. Post scene example with the problem.

Here we go. As I said. I just want to make the bevel on the edges... even if I change the rows on the sphere. (increase the tubes)... The bevel should also work with an adjustable tube-intersection-count.

Lamp_03.hipnc

Assuming you are using the H16 Boolean:

you probably want to scroll down and enable some of the checkboxes of the "Output Edge Groups"
in particular "A-B Seams" is probably one you want to use.

You can also use it to output a multitude of Primitive groups, which you could manipulate with nodes like "Group Promote"

then you can simply feed in the "abseams" group or a custom (edge)group in your bevel sop instead of hand-selecting the groups in the viewport.

Keep in mind that certain operations, such as the "fuse" node may remove elements from edge groups.

• Like 1

PolyBevel works just fine for me, when placed after Fuse and by using seam group from Boolean. Though it can be simplified a bit: lamp_bevel.hipnc

Your main geometry is reversed. Open Display Options (D key in viewport) > go to Optimize tab > inside Culling group box > turn Remove Backfaces on. You will see that it's facing inside. It will subtract solid geometry in a wrong way, assuming that all world is inside the model.

Edited by f1480187
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, f1480187 said:

Hm, beveling works just fine for me after fuse node using seam group from boolean.

Well if the points are already fused it is fine, but as soon as Houdini is redrawing primitives it could remove certain edges from an edge group, in certain cases.

That works fine for me! :) 
Now I know how to achieve the grouping of the seams to use it for the bevel.

Thanks for that knowledge! This is such a great forum with a lot of talented people!