Deforming Packed Gometry

frankengen

Hi,

I cant figure out what I am doing wrong, but my geometry shape does no seem to be respected. It only seems to respect the old geometry shape in my dop simulation.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks for your help,

kind regards,

Frank Engen

Deforming_PackedGeometry_01.hip

Edited by frankengen

I'm not entirely sure what are trying to do as the geometry is missing in your scene. The file nodes in your scene should either be locked prior to saving (depending on file size) or you could zip the hip file up with the relevant geo files. But that being said, you can't directly deform packed geometry without first unpacking it. You can transform it, but deformation would require the geometry being fully loaded in to the scene. 

I am unpacking it in a sop solver inside a for each loop to do it to every packed geometry.

Then repacking it again and transferring the attributes back onto the packed geometry with a attribute copy.

The plan is to add more packed geometry every frame, as well as deforming and manipulating the geometry in a unpack and pack manner,

which seems to work, but the error seems to be with my collisions, it seems to have the same collision geometry/bounds as it initially had before is started manipulation it in the sop solver(even though when I look at the "Show Guide Geometry" in the "rbdpackedobject node" it seem to have updated there. Which is the problem I am hoping to resolve.

Many thanks again for your help,

Kind regards,

Frank Engen

Im not sure exactly what you want as I'm not near Houdini, but to manipulate transforms of packed geo, you dont need to pack and unpack, just use the intrinsic. You also need to force dop's to rebuild the collision hull by setting the id to -1 (I think). Its tricky as you need to keep all the velocity's working. I got all this to work here in this scene.

http://richardlord.tumblr.com/post/157573190741/hip-file-example-of-how-to-scale-packed

17_02_21_scale_packed_prims_in_dops.gif

• Like 2