pinning a fractured wall to the ground

this has to be simpler than i'm making it.  I hear theres an active attribute i can set but dont know how to do it.  Currently i'm trying to faff on with an attribute vop and some xyzdist and compare and if-then block but i cant get it working.  I got the trick from a search results and a file but houdini doesn't seem to have the if-then block i need so its really confusing me.

can anyone help i just need a nice solution for pinning some parts of fractured wall to the floor maybe based on a proximity value or a group or something so i dont have to manually enter all the pieces as active=0

i cant supply a scene sadly as i'm in work and cant upload anything.  But its a pretty simple ball hits wall scene really :/

really confused by this :(

ant

Edited by anthonymcgrath

2 hours ago, derjcmp said:

Hi ant! Glad to see you around here again!

I usually create a bounding group of the points I want to make static and inactive. 

I then create an active attribute on those group points.

@active = 0;

Active.hiplc

cheers Joao i haven't really gone away :) been keeping my eye on houdini when time allows (usually an hour in the evening at work just to keep my hand into the workflow... so maya doesn't swallow me up whole ever again!)...

i did create a group of the points (bounding volume) and then an attribute wrangle - but now i think about it i think i stuck both of those on primitives and with packed rbd you need to work on points is that right?  Might be something as daft as that but i'll take a look at your scene and see where i went wrong ta :)

yep, when you are in packed rbd you need to work on points! Which is kinda sweet since you can use all the POP nodes and do alot of magic! 

When working with constraints make sure to work on primitives tho!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, derjcmp said:

yep, when you are in packed rbd you need to work on points! Which is kinda sweet since you can use all the POP nodes and do alot of magic! 

When working with constraints make sure to work on primitives tho!

cheeers dude - with me trying to pin some pieces to the ground my head is thinking 'constraints so therefore prims' but of course they're packed so need to use something else.

I did find this thread below - the chap uses a clever trick of a vop sop (remember them?!) to use the proximity to the groundplane to pin pieces down.  I tried to rebuild it but theres an if-then-block in there and i couldn't find the node in the vop :/ 

1 hour ago, anthonymcgrath said:

woot got it working - in the sop solver you used a merge as a group - for some reason that wasn't working so i stuck a group node in there and plugged a box into it instead and it seems to work :)  ta @derjcmp  :)

hum.. I think I did just that in the setup I sent.

Maybe it got messed up cause I was in a older version at the office. Glad it worked !!!

• Like 1