Geo_face::pointinface()

I have a poly triangle. I also have another point, planar with the triangle, but outside the triangle. If I use pointInFace(), shouldn't it return 0? I'm asking because it seems to return 1 no matter where the point is.

// rough bit of example code
// I'm pretty sure I've got the right point and face setup in my real code
GEO_Face *face;
GEO_Point *point;
// code to get address of correct face and point
UT_Vector3 nml = face->computeNormal();
int inside;
inside = face->pointInFace( (const UT_Vector3)point.getPos(), &nml);

Just guessing, but could it be that when you pass it a normal it tests for "point in plane" (else I don't see why it would need a normal unless it's used to describe a plane). Try not passing it a normal (ommit the second parameter altogether) and see what happens...

20214[/snapback]

I was creating the GEO_Face in the wrong scope. It's working fine now.

Dave

It's used to decide which plane to project to in order to do the in/out test. You can't give it a NULL pointer or it'll likely segfault.

20332[/snapback]

Oh. OK.

I'm not sure I understand the need for it yet, but I'll definitely take your word for it. Thanks :)

The only problem I see then, is that not being able to pass it a null makes that default pretty dangerous, no?

Just in case, I'm talking about this method in GEO_Face:

//  This method determines whether the point is inside or outside the
//  polygon.  The point is assumed to be on the plane of the polygon
virtual int pointInFace(const UT_Vector3 &pos, const UT_Vector3 *myNormal = 0) const;

The only problem I see then, is that not being able to pass it a null makes that default pretty dangerous, no?

That's what got me in the first place. I just started trying to fill in a value when the default wasn't working. But I agree. I think SESI should change that behaviour.

Dave

Oh. OK.

I'm not sure I understand the need for it yet, but I'll definitely take your word for it. Thanks :)

Just in case, I'm talking about this method in GEO_Face:

//  This method determines whether the point is inside or outside the
//  polygon.  The point is assumed to be on the plane of the polygon
virtual int pointInFace(const UT_Vector3 &pos, const UT_Vector3 *myNormal = 0) const;

20335[/snapback]

Hmm ... that's an interesting point. :) ... So I checked it out and no one is calling it with the default argument used. Go figure.

I'm not sure I understand the need for it yet, but I'll definitely take your word for it.

20335[/snapback]

Ah right. I probably didn't explain that properly. It projects the points to the world-aligned 2D plane which contains the largest projection of the normal vector. This reduces the 3D problem into a 2D one which then makes it easier to solve. All pretty standard stuff.

Ah right. I probably didn't explain that properly. It projects the points to the world-aligned 2D plane which contains the largest projection of the normal vector. This reduces the 3D problem into a 2D one which then makes it easier to solve. All pretty standard stuff.

20393[/snapback]

Yup. That makes perfect sense.

For some reason, I was thinking of these faces as triangles when I wrote that post... don't ask. :whistling:

Thanks Ed.