How to slowly stop a pop sim without timescale ?

Denver

Hi guys,

Here the pitch : Snowflakes are falling, all of a sudden, time stop, snowflakes are in mid air, they move just a tiny  bit. Only a few characters can move in the scene.
Those characters are moving in the middle of those mid air snowflakes, who are advected by the movement .

My first thought was to animate the time scale of my pop sim, that way the particle seems to slowly stop, which is what i want, but with that setup collision and advection didn't work.
My second thought was to multiply the velocity from 1 to 0.001 in a popvop, but same conclusion, it seems that without velocity my particles wont move after advection from a geo, (which make sence, the overall velocity is multiplied by 0.001 )

Do you have any ideas how i could slowly stop the movement of my particles and advect them without using the timescale  ? 

Thank you for your time
Kind regards , Las

What if you used the center of the character as some kind of fall off inside the popvop or wrangle? The particles near the character remain multiplied by 1.0 and others far off by 0.001.

Edited by Atom
  • Like 1

You could use POP Drag, keyframe the airresist attribute, and also enable VEXpression to drive airresist by proximity to your character, as Atom said?

Btw I think, that it will be nice to solve velocities around the characters (Pyro solver without fuel/temp?), save the velocity volumes and then have the POP Advect By Volumes (it has airresist too) instead of POP Drag.

Hi, thanks for your reply,

i tried with the volume and the advect by volume, it moves the particles position but those particles dont seem to inherit the velocity, they stop straight after the volume, i tried the different advection type, only the position seem to do something.
i'm interested in that Vexpression to drive airresist, how would you achieve that ?