Faster, harder flames?

Entaris

I'm in college and we just had a project to make something out of Houdini's many facets of VFX. I'm trying to make a muzzle flash for a rather large caliber fantasy weapon I've modeled (WH 40K if anyone's familiar)

So far, my month has given me this. 

it does the job, sort of, by I can't help but feel...underwhelmed? 

Anything y'all can offer to punch this up into acceptable would be highly appreciated.

BolterFlash5.hipnc

Just realized I hadn't explained ANY of what I've done so far.

I have three Velocity Volumes, but I'm not sure they're doing anything, since the vortexes don't seem to be working.

I've tried boosting the velocity crazy high, even with substeps at 10, it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks again

as a suggestion and i'm by no means any kind of guru but i guess your after that tendrily effect of a gun muzzle?

maybe a half ball with a noise texture on it... emit particles from that texture so you get wisps (Rohan Dalvi has a tutorial on particles on youtube).  Then play with rate, speed and noise etc.. maybe lots of speed and short life.  Then see if you can use those points as a source of emission for a pyro perhaps.  I dont know if it'll inherit the velocity but maybe worth a go?

Hey, I did a file from zero showing how to use a vel from a volume. Pay attention to the Containers Settings in the fluid sources

Also, I'm not sure what you want to look like, so I can't talk about it. But here are some useful links. This one is a pretty new one about pyro and particles. This one is for pyro look dev

pumpvel_odf.hipnc