Ocean sim help

lavitz01

I am working with an ocean sim using flip container. I created a static object that is colliding but the water that is created as a result of the collision is very thick. Its like 5-10 feet thick instead of particle or paper thin. how do I make the water thinner? 

To my understanding, if you want a water sim, you need some deepness. Water sims need to happen in a container. Without a container, it would fall continuously. Also, if you just have a paper thin water, you won't feel the object sink down because it won't create a "hole" in the water.

Anyway, if you really want to have a thin Flip Tank and want to do it from the shelf, in the particle fluid tab you can generate a Flip Tank, in the fluidtank_initial set the Y size of the fluidtank to a small value.

I just notice that you're talking about ocean sim, so it depends on which ocean sim you choose, some use flip tank.

Edited by dudenay

If using the shelf tools (which I assume you are), I would change the size value of the particle fluid tank. If you do that, you are lowering the upper bounds of your domain also which means that you will have to do more readjusting. I would instead raise the center Y value if you want to make the fluid thinner. If you do it like this, the domain size will remain the same.

The simulation is a Flip tank from the particle fluids tab.

the container size i am using is 250 x 145 x 250 with a water level of 12. The center Y i used this expression

ch("sizey")*0.5
the object im using is a ship that i needed to cache out to make it a static object so it is not sinking. I already animated the ship.

ship_sim_redu_sim_begin_001.hip

untitled1.jpg