Folger's Spot Using Ode

Guest xionmark

Guest xionmark

Hi there,

This is a spot that Charlex did recently using the ODE engine with Maya. It has apx. 7,500 coffee beans and took only some 4-5 secs per frame to simulate (the beans were primitives).

Credits:

Bill watral - efx animator

Oktay Aishka - efx TD

Myung Lee - lighter

Anthony Patti - modeler

Let's get rolling on the ODE for Houdini! :)

--Mark

Guest xionmark
Congratulations!  Do you think that those sorts of speeds might be achievable in Houdini if there was a Primitive/Primitive Collider?

20994[/snapback]

Honestly, I'm not sure only because I haven't done it yet in Houdini. But I can't imagine it being slower than Maya (I admit I'm *very* biased) ... but I hope to find out soon.

--Mark

Let's get rolling on the ODE for Houdini!

Let's not get rolling on ODE.

I've been using it for a while now on Softimage XSI 4.2 and it has really horrible actual collision results. It is quite fast for BBox sims, though.

If there is pressure on SESI to integrate external sim engines to H, I'd really like Aidea NovodeX (as Softimage did for v.5).

Cheers

If there is pressure on SESI to integrate external sim engines to H, I'd really like Aidea NovodeX (as Softimage did for v.5).

I don't think there is any pressure on them to integrate a new RBD solver - there is far more desire to have a CFD solver in there instead, IMHO.

The DOPs team at SESI will enthusiatically support *any* 3rd party effort to develop solvers though - and you've probably seen some of the technical insights delivered to this forum by Mark Tucker.

Personally I'm a fan of making the current RBD implementation have more options - like as in additional Colliders for primitives, good constraint setups (e.g. Hinge constraint networks) and so on. Asking SESI to hop onto another RBD engine seems a little premature to me since the current one is excellent and could be taken even further. :)

I don't think anyone reading this forum so far have had much (or any) experience with the Novodex SDK - have you?

Hi there,

Let's not get rolling on ODE.

I've been using it for a while now on Softimage XSI 4.2 and it has really horrible actual collision results. It is quite fast for BBox sims, though.

Cheers

21014[/snapback]

Every RBD solver has it's strengths and weaknesses. From what I've seen of ODE, it sure can run Primitive/Primitive sims extremely fast. Sometimes, that's what you need.

I've not tried NovodeX but would like to, for comparison.

Cheers!

steven