$obj When Applying Shader At The Sop Level

Basicly I need to apply several shaders at the sop level which all reference the same pointcloud, the name of the pointcloud is based on the name of the object, therefore I though I could use $OBJ in the filepath for the pointcloud.

But it seems like $OBJ only gets filled when I apply the shader at the object level. Is there a similar variable which gets applied when specifying the shader at the sop level.

Thanks

Achim

I dont assume I understood or even I can be helpful since this is first time I try to asnwer a question instead of asking one.. .but.. is the 'opname(string)' expression function usefull in this case?

i mean to grab the name of the pointcloud based on obj you can gives proper name to obj SOP nodes and then get the pointcloud name from them.

I'm mostly sure i'm totally wrong way aint it? :)

cheers

Thanks guys,

in order for opname() to work, I have "store" my shaders inside an shop network in my current object. This will do it for now, though it would be much more elegant if I could keep my shaders at a different location, as they may be used for multiple objects. If I do it as above, then I'll end up with multiple instances of the shader in each object. That's why I think $OBJ at the sop level would be much more elegant.

Any other ideas?