Gas Disturbance vs Gas Turbulence [solved]

evanrudefx

Hi,

In my pyro sim, I just want to add some velocity in the container before my smoke begins emitting. I could do this by creating a box and using fluid source and adding curl noise. I did not really like the results, so I decided to try something else. I tried adding a gas turbulence and turned on the velocity visualizer. However, gas turbulence doesn't seem to affect the container until density enters the container. I tried gas disturbance. Disturbance did add velocity to the container, but I noticed the field set to disturb was "temperature". I changed the field to disturb to velocity and it stopped working. Why does the temp field work but not velocity? Why doesn't the gas turbulence not add velocity until density enter the simulation?

Thanks

vel1.PNG

vel2.PNG

vel3.PNG

Edited by ejr32123

1) gas turbulence

under Bindings tab the Density field specifies where turbulence is calculated. This works togehter with Influence Threshold (under Turb Settings).
So setting the threshold to 0 might give you turbulence before density is present (can't try right now).

2) gas disturb

temperature field works because it's a scalar field whereas vel is a vector field. Tick that checkbox disturb is vector field and it disturbs the vel field.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 3dome said:

1) gas turbulence

under Bindings tab the Density field specifies where turbulence is calculated. This works togehter with Influence Threshold (under Turb Settings).
So setting the threshold to 0 might give you turbulence before density is present (can't try right now).

2) gas disturb

temperature field works because it's a scalar field whereas vel is a vector field. Tick that checkbox disturb is vector field and it disturbs the vel field.

Thanks, you are a genius! For gas turbulence, setting threshold to 0 did not work but any negative values work. Also, I should have known to check the check box for field is vector!!! Thanks again