Why polywire is not showing all the geometry (SOLVED)

Hi there!

I am studying the "Designing VEX Driven Digital Assets" course by Jonathan Granskog, to create trees on houdini, but I have a problem and (as usually) I don't understand why it is not working.

It is suppose to create the trunk using the attribute width and the branches, using also width attribute (but before width, it was branch_width) and I can't understand why my polywire only generate the trunk and not the branches. Any clue?

Thank you all  in advance and sorry if my English is not the best one in the community, have a nice day!

tree_generator_v2.hip

Edited by ramirezrubio92

The starting @width of your branches is 0. In your set_width operator, you're multiplying @width by @branch_width, but multiplying by zero is cancelling that out. Set a default @width of 1 on your branches when they're first created and you should be in business.

edit: sorry, another thing. Your input points to copy the branches to all have a @width attribute of 0, and in the Copy to Points SOP, your branches are all set to inherit this value. You're losing your attribute when you blast out the primitives before copying. If you transfer the width from your original trunk points to the scattered points, that will give you a working @width on your branches.

tree_generator_v3.hip

Edited by toadstorm
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, toadstorm said:

The starting @width of your branches is 0. In your set_width operator, you're multiplying @width by @branch_width, but multiplying by zero is cancelling that out. Set a default @width of 1 on your branches when they're first created and you should be in business.

edit: sorry, another thing. Your input points to copy the branches to all have a @width attribute of 0, and in the Copy to Points SOP, your branches are all set to inherit this value. You're losing your attribute when you blast out the primitives before copying. If you transfer the width from your original trunk points to the scattered points, that will give you a working @width on your branches.

tree_generator_v3.hip

Thank you very much toadstorm! you made my day