Renderman Occlusion Using Vop Or Slim

Hi guys,

I use renderman with maya for sometime now. As a houdini newbie i was trying to use renderman to render an occlusion pass from houdini. I tried two appraoches and they both failed miserably. here they are:

First in VOPs i treid to take an appraoch similar to the Slim interface. I created an rsl surface shader and connected a lighting model with constant shading. I then connected a ramps node to the diff parameter. then i connected an occlusion node's output to the s input of the ramps. the result is artifacts in the render in the form of square patches. so i turned to the other approach.

I created a constant shader in slim connected a colorSpline to its color input and connected an occlusion function to the spline pattern connection (the shader works fine with maya). i compiled the shader and created an otl using rmands. I loaded the shader into houdini attached it to my object nodes in the shader tab. These aer two objects, a plane and a nurbs object. when i render i get the following error:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

cannot load shader "my_occlusion".:Object"/obj/plane"(WARNING)

cannot load shader "my_occlusion".:Object"/obj/Logo"(WARNING)

HELP PLEASE !!!

THANKS

Hi guys,

I use renderman with maya for sometime now. As a houdini newbie i was trying to use renderman to render an occlusion pass from houdini. I tried two appraoches and they both failed miserably. here they are:

First in VOPs i treid to take an appraoch similar to the Slim interface. I created an rsl surface shader and connected a lighting model with constant shading. I then connected a ramps node to the diff parameter. then i connected an occlusion node's output to the s input of the ramps. the result is artifacts in the render in the form of square patches. so i turned to the other approach.

I created a constant shader in slim connected a colorSpline to its color input and connected an occlusion function to the spline pattern connection (the shader works fine with maya). i compiled the shader and created an otl using rmands. I loaded the shader into houdini attached it to my object nodes in the shader tab. These aer two objects,  a plane and a nurbs object. when i render i get the following error:

cannot load shader "my_occlusion".:Object"/obj/plane"(WARNING)

cannot load shader "my_occlusion".:Object"/obj/Logo"(WARNING) 

HELP PLEASE !!!

THANKS

22563[/snapback]

Maybe the shaders are not in th renderman shaders path, chekc it in the RIB generated.

Put your shader in a path that renderman can find it, sees rendermn.ini or the houdini environment variable HOUDINI_RI_SHADERPATH, see houdini environmetn variables in the help.

hope this helps