Toon Ink Shader Possible?

Hello everyone,

I have been experimenting with some toon shading ideas myself, although i'm not much into shader writting (yet) i'm trying hard to understand how it works. Here's what i got so far.

I know the fill color sucks and the shader only uses external contour lines, the way i did this was by picking P and moving it along a given distance along it's normal, then used rayhittest() from the camera to the new P and set rayhittest() scope to getobjectname() so it will check for itself at the new coordinate and if it can't find it it will be shaded as outline, otherwise it will be shaded naturally.

This is not actually very practical but simply a test, you can also notice the outlines would require quite a bit of antialiasing and the fill color REALLY needs a lot of work, anyway just wanted to show my weird approach.

P.S - Sorry it was working when i posted, it is now attached.

Cheers,

post-1076-1148376909_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Guest Swann

Hey Sybarrick,

I got some info from Andz that you are the autor of this function:

Could you explain this funtion:

$dangle = max(abs(Du($x))+abs(Dv($x)), $MINFILTER);

You just taked this function from somehere or it's all your Idea ?

InlineVOP takes inputs name from every $something from our function, right ?

So I can name it $whatever if it only follow function syntax, right or unsure.gif not ? If yes, why when I change name it show error ?

Or maybe it shows error because MINFILTER is function not name you think up from nowhere, so it has to be named like this ? But it shows error even if I change x to something else.

Or maybe I make error somewhere in my thinking ?

Thanks

I don't recall if it was me or not but that looks suspiciously like something from the Advanced Renderman book, probably just converted to Mantra vex code.

You are correct about the inline sop and the $ notation.

I think $MINFILTER is a global variable it is set externally to be a small float value so if you change that it will break, you can change it to another float value but I can't predict what the results will be.

Hope that helps

Guest Swann
I don't recall if it was me or not but that looks suspiciously like something from the Advanced Renderman book, probably just converted to Mantra vex code.

You are correct about the inline sop and the $ notation.

I think $MINFILTER is a global variable it is set externally to be a small float value so if you change that it will break, you can change it to another float value but I can't predict what the results will be.

Hope that helps

I too Hope :unsure:

Thanks

• 3 months later...
Hi,

I'm new :ph34r:

I wish something like "jot" would be available in Houdini

http://jot.cs.princeton.edu/index.php

Check out the demo here:

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/pubs/Kalni...3_CSS/index.php

If someone makes something similar in houdini he gets a cookie from me.

Cheers

blazej

Someone feel like writing a SOHO exporter for it? ;)

Looking at the technical paper on jot, I wish they'd used an established geometry format - but I guess they wanted to tag creases and such.

An example here: http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=6405