Dynamics Like In Star Wars

Rafal123

When breaking stuff up in DOPs, I found that the most time consuming part was actually pre-dissecting the geometry into what would eventually become the individual pieces upon destruction.

I also found it convenient to do a switch right before the moment of destruction between the intact geometry and the dissected geometry in order to speed up the simulation time (if there is simulation taking place before the collision) and to avoid any rendering artifacts introduced by the cracks in the geometry.

One of the great thing about DOPs is that you can control the timing of when things fall apart by setting an activation keyframe and by controlling how strong the "glue" is between the pieces.

In a case like the Star Wars pod racers, I'd probably tackle just the larger pieces with physical simulation and spew a much simpler particle system for the smaller bits in order to fill out the effect, using the bigger pieces as the source.

And then there's the pyro, which is a whole other story... :)

ps. Can I have a beer too?

Stu,

you left out the bit about using a cloth system with higher stiffness settings to get the crumpled metal look.

then you do the pyro :)

-k

25634[/snapback]

Oh yeah...isn't there a demo somewhere with a DOPs simulation that has the pieces getting deformed upon impact?

Oh yeah...isn't there a demo somewhere with a DOPs simulation that has the pieces getting deformed upon impact?

25637[/snapback]

If you look at the helpcard for the SOP Solver, there is an example of using particles to dent geometry.

The POP Solver helpcard has an example of using the POP shapematch DOP to do a squishy object.

There are no Star Wars examples, though. B)

25637[/snapback]

don't know, but if you watch the extra disk in Episode I ( I refuse to call it by the other name )

You will see some crash example and workups froM ILM and it looks like a cloth sim to me :)

-k

yes :)

with few differences

The softbody+springs thing is focused on PP control over the geometry and springs can "undeform" it back to the initial position, or make it dynamicly fallow deforming rest geometry.

cloth is focused on ... cloth simulation.

actually the latest version of syflex brings some of the best features from both worlds - using magnet constraint one can make clothGeo to fallow deforming rest geo, etc. - the best feature of Syflex B) .