Banding NPR shader

Isleofgough

How would I set up a shader to create non photorealistic banding based on luminosity remapped to a stepped color ramp? Here are C4D and Modo shaders that get that effect:

ModoNPR.png

C4Dtoon.jpg

Edited by Isleofgough

That is PERFECT!! I tried to modify the color toon shader, but it is not something that can be easily altered to quantize more than three levels. I will look at the details to see how you made this, but it works great! Quick question, though: I assume your shader doesn't read your color data? It looks like your color is derived from the texture map.

Edited by Isleofgough

Thank you. I am still trying to get my head around shader nodes. I find them less intuitive than geometry nodes and am looking for free or paid tutorials to understand them better. I really appreciate your example. I looked at the toon outline and toon color shader’s internal structure and they are formidable. In addition, the outline shader doesn’t work right if the copy or instance has a principled shader. Sidefx has registered this as a bug, but I’m sure the solution is in the nodes.

That is very helpful! Building shaders is not something i’ve had to do in other 3D programs excepting connecting some intuitive nodes. Other programs with npr shaders generally have outline features as well, but in Houdini this is a separate shader that has to be assigned to instance or copy - and it works only when the other is assigned a cartoon color shader. The prebuilt toon color shader doesn’t have many options, so your tutorial on building it manually is invaluable!

• Haha 1