Carve a Curve by specific length (And not a percentage)

I have a copy to points SOP based on a curve I cut up to add the welding point onto a pipe I've made. Problem is the the welding points on the pipe are too close to each other, so I want to add an additional carve increase the distance between each carved point by a measurement, not a percentage like carve normally does. Can I do this somehow? With the current way carve works, it shortens my curves relative to the same percent, and how I'd like to use it is to shorten each curve by a 1/10 of an inch (Or some type of exact measurement, so every curve has the same amount taken off) 

I hope this all makes sense, I'm very new with Houdini and I don't want to do this in a method that is overly complex or requires too much alteration if possible. Just trying to learn the basics here and ran into this sang with my current project.

Scene file attached!

Clipping.PNG

Curves.PNG

CurvePipeWithParticles.hipnc

Edited by HappehLemons

like this ?

the clamp is at 0.99999...ie ~100% (dunno why 1 doesn't quite work)

if you want to clamp either ends you could clamp between 0.25 and 0.75 so it means there's always a 25% 'buffer' at either end. (but then 25% on a looooooooong line is much longer than 25% on a short line...so not advisable)

CurvePipeWithParticles_CarveDist.hipnc

Edited by Noobini

8 hours ago, Noobini said:

like this ?

the clamp is at 0.99999...ie ~100% (dunno why 1 doesn't quite work)

if you want to clamp either ends you could clamp between 0.25 and 0.75 so it means there's always a 25% 'buffer' at either end. (but then 25% on a looooooooong line is much longer than 25% on a short line...so not advisable)

CurvePipeWithParticles_CarveDist.hipnc

Thank you, but maybe I didn't phrase my question correct. That's actually want I'm trying to avoid (taking any percentage off a line, being more because the line is larger the line the more is taken off)

I want to reduce the size of a line by a value that isn't relative to it's size, but relative to a world measurement. For example, I want to be able to take 1/10th of an inch off each curve, not 10%. 

9 hours ago, HappehLemons said:

Thank you, but maybe I didn't phrase my question correct. That's actually want I'm trying to avoid (taking any percentage off a line, being more because the line is larger the line the more is taken off)

I want to reduce the size of a line by a value that isn't relative to it's size, but relative to a world measurement. For example, I want to be able to take 1/10th of an inch off each curve, not 10%. 

it works by DISTANCE.....did you try varying the Dist ?

here's proof, the 0.5 you see here is NOT 50%...it's 0.5 absolute distance....along 3 lines of different lengths

proof.jpg

Proof.hipnc

Edited by Noobini

• 5 years later...