whitewater - discount version

nicoladanese

Hey

I need to create some splashes (only points) of a dolphin going out of water, I don't care about how the whitewater interact with the flip fluid, I just need a raw flip shape to emit whitewater from, and then the whitewater going up and down. camera is a side view and I don't see the surface of water. so at the moment I'm keeping the bbox of the fluid pretty big to contain the whitewater sim, I wonder if I can emit the whitewater from a small flip sim (or a cahed version of it previously cropped) and then let the whitewater go freely without boundaries from the flip sim..I really hope I made myself clear enough :)

cheers!

If I've understood correctly what you want to do, sure you can. 

You can just use the cropped flip simulation for get the whitewater. In the whitewater solver you can specify their behaviour at the bounds (Behaviour at limits) , in your case you need to make them ballistic and maybe kill them when they are below the imaginary water surface level outside your flip sim.

If you want them to float in the water where you don't have the simulation, things are a bit more complicated.

Hey Andrea, thanks for your reply, I made some step forward, and decided to discard whitewater and use only flip fluid, the issue I'm having is still there anyway...here I uploaded 2 videos showing my scenario: shotcam is what I need to render (obviously), I don't need water surface, only the splash in the air. but if you look at the second video, witness cam, you see I'm simulating a huge container...it's okay like this, I mean I can do it, is just that to me it looks a big waste of time...I'm meshing only in the area where I need it so in the end the cache is quite light still unnecessary slow to sim in my opinion

shotcam.gif

witnesscam.gif

Great sim!

So I tried and I was expecting it to be more easy to do it with the flip solver, or maybe it is and I'm forgetting something.

First of all you need to leave the simulation open in the +Y inside the Flipobject.

Then if you go to Flipsolver-> behaviour and disable kill outside limits. So when they goes outside the volume limits they aren't deleted. Now the problem should be that they stop once outside the bounds so if you go to Flipsolver-> Under-Resolved particles-> treat as ballistic they act like particles and fall back for the gravity. 

The problem I've found is that if they collide with the closed boundaries they get deleted, but if you open them the flip particles below the waterline will go outside the volume limits too. I don't know if using the narrowband it's different. 

Probably you can reduce your bounds by half size anyway 

ex.png.fcc57fdaa6ff9a41748ea1dfe848ce82.png