Cell Shader

Isleofgough

I have looked at various ways of rendering just the visible edges in Houdini, and it seems like I have to use Flipbook. To add the lines on top of an existing texture, I have to do a double render and composite them. Is there a shader that basically just adds lines (multiplying an image of the edges on top of a constant or principled shader?

CellShader.jpg

I still think there must be a way of doing this all in a shader. (since many other 3D programs DO have a built in cell shader). I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing in shader editing, but I tried to at least get a start with this. If I could remap the greyscale with some sort of ramp to pure white and pure black, I would be very close. I'm guessing this wouldn't work if actual UVs were applied:

FakeCellShader.hiplc

FakeCellShader.jpg

Edited by Isleofgough

you're almost there, just need to compute abs(0.5 - s) and see if it's less than your chosen edge threshold value. granted, this still is going to render the edge width as a percentage of the parametric UVs instead of a constant world space width, which is why i like the Convert Line method better.

FakeCellShader_ts.hipnc

• Like 1

• 4 months later...