Curves/Shape From Points Help

chrisdunham95

Hey guys, so I'm taking some geo -

- deleting away everything but the boundary points

- in order to then create an edge using the ADD sop 

- take this and create polygons inbetween 

Currently I cant get the winding order/connecting order of my points right on more complex shapes with holes inside as such, heres my hip file any ideas or suggestions would be great! :)

Thanks, C

HoudiniHelpAddSop.hip

hey,

seems to be pretty easy with dissolve SOP and ends SOP... check the hip file attached.

if you're doing manual point selection to generate a curve from, make sure you make ordered group (that will keep point numbering in correct order for add SOP).

also, GameDev plugin has a node for extracting curves from geo (alongside with few other cool nodes): https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/game-development-toolset-overview/

curves_from_edges.hiplc

Edited by davpe

26 minutes ago, davpe said:

hey,

seems to be pretty easy with dissolve SOP and ends SOP... check the hip file attached.

if you're doing manual point selection to generate a curve from, make sure you make ordered group (that will keep point numbering in correct order for add SOP).

also, GameDev plugin has a node for extracting curves from geo (alongside with few other cool nodes): https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/game-development-toolset-overview/

curves_from_edges.hiplc

Ahhh I see I totally forgot about the ends sop! Thanks a lot man, 

From this point I'm still struggling to then create clean geometry between the points (polyfill/cap) does the job to an extent but not nicely 

- and the polypath node also somewhat works, perhaps is what I'm after but doesn't take into consideration edge loops inside of others and thus creates one giant polygon rather than one with holes inside if that makes sense 

Edited by chrisdunham95

hm, if you already have some surface, remesh SOP should make a reasonable triangular topology to it. from there it really depends what you need to achieve... there some nice tools to generate quad mesh too

• Like 1