Small tablet or laptop for Houdini

logix1390

Hello,

I am looking to get some sort of tablet, notebook or laptop for Houdini. The key is to have something as small in size as possible that can run Houdini . I am not doing any real production work on it.  The goal for this would be to basically have this at my desk at work so that I have reference to setup files or R&D stuff that I have done at home, since we don't have access to internet or USB at work for security reasons. 

I was looking at the system requirements for installing Houdini here:
https://www.sidefx.com/Support/system-requirements/

and it is pretty easy to find something with the processing power and ram. However I am not to sure on the graphics .

Most tablets and notebooks that I am looking at have integrated graphics on it  and I am not sure if Houdini 16 will handle it.

Again, it is not to do any sims or anything. Although that would be a bonus... I really just need reference to Houdini files and be able to see whats in the viewport.

I am not a hardware guy, especially when it comes to graphics cards. If there is anyone with experience with this, and can point me in the right direction , that would be amazing.

My budget is around $1200. 

Thank you.

Razer are very compact and powerfull but noise + heat are invevitable if you want a 13-14 inch gaming laptop

https://www.razer.com/gaming-laptops

MSI Phantom / Asus ROG / Gygabyte Aero are good series for compact laptop with good perf.

I personnally love asus ROG serie because their cooling system design is great , ( few noise / few heat ) 

Edited by sebkaine

if it is not sims or anything but to reference setups and be small in size as possible you do not need a $1,200 notebook.
I have a $250 asus E200 that I travel with and keep on my desk on studio floor. I can open setups and do whatever you would assume. its .98kg (2.1 pounds) and 11'.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to see the view port because of a GPU the vast majority of integrated graphics will support
and as for a tablet well that's a completely different architecture..