Particles avoiding objects

logix1390

Hello,

I am trying to make my particles avoid an object as they move along the Z direction. My object in this case is a sphere plugged into the second input.

I have tried the pop axis force which technically works...however it becomes very hard to control when I add more forces to the particles like the pop wind. 

I tried the pop attract with negative values but the particles end up accelerating which is not what i want....

also tried the "pop steer obstacle". which is also very hard to control..

I feel like I am going down the wrong path here. 

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

I will attach my scene file for any one that wants to take a look.

Thank you.

avoid_object_pops.hip

7 hours ago, logix1390 said:

Hello,

I am trying to make my particles avoid an object as they move along the Z direction. My object in this case is a sphere plugged into the second input.

I have tried the pop axis force which technically works...however it becomes very hard to control when I add more forces to the particles like the pop wind. 

I tried the pop attract with negative values but the particles end up accelerating which is not what i want....

also tried the "pop steer obstacle". which is also very hard to control..

I feel like I am going down the wrong path here. 

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

I will attach my scene file for any one that wants to take a look.

Thank you.

avoid_object_pops.hip

Hi,

Have a look at this, if you haven't,it might solve your purpose.

Cheers !!

Thank you karanjaura, this is exactly the effect I needed. Works perfectly.

But I am just wondering...is there an easier way to achieve something like this? I was assuming Houdini would have some built in tools to make particles avoid objects...Surely a beginner would not come up with a solution like in that video.

Really appreciate the help!

On 7/16/2018 at 8:48 AM, logix1390 said:

Thank you karanjaura, this is exactly the effect I needed. Works perfectly.

But I am just wondering...is there an easier way to achieve something like this? I was assuming Houdini would have some built in tools to make particles avoid objects...Surely a beginner would not come up with a solution like in that video.

Really appreciate the help!

Hi Mike,

Glad it worked for you,I'm sure there must be other ways to accomplish the same effect and being a beginner myself too,I am also learning the tricks and trade of Houdini every single day :) and diving in Vops context feels scary at times :unsure:

Cheers !!