FLIP Fluid collisions with fast moving container

coljwood

Hi guys,

Been having some issues with simulating fluids in a fast moving container. Basically, the fluid needs to act as if it is water within a bottle that is being shaken.

Previously, i've attempted this with slower movement and the collisions worked pretty well (with 14 substeps on the DOP network however) but the fluid movement didn't look very natural. We are also trying to match the simulation to some footage so the movement on the bottle currently seems pretty accurate in relation to that footage.

I've done a lot of reading up on volume loss etc (which is the current problem) and tried a lot of the workarounds. Scaling the scene up (in fact, i'm currently scaling it down to real world size with a null) helps keep the volume but the fluid doesn't behave as it should based on what I can see.

I've attached a HIP file with my current setup. A lot of the settings are just the latest settings i've tweaked with so it may be better to reset to default. A low particle separation is quite important as we need this to be detailed, but obviously the simulation times need to be manageable for now.

We also need to slow the simulation back down afterwards for a slow motion effect on the shake, including a speed ramp for further slow down towards the end of the shot. Additionally, we need to to mesh the fluid so any advice on this would be great. The previous problem we've had is preventing intersections with the container when rendering with Octane in C4D.

Any help would be appreciated and if i've been too vague then I can give more info if needed.

TeaSimTest07_Odforce.hiplc

• 4 months later...

Hey man, just found this post when searching for something else and realised I never said thank you for this! It was much appreciated.

We had to go down a live action route instead for this due to time constraints but will definitely keep this in mind for the future.

Out of interest, would POP fluids now be a more viable option for something like this?

• 4 years later...