Divide only in 1 frame alembic and keeping it along the anim

macj89

Hi guys!

Im struggling with a thing that i never thought before about it! haha

I am importing a glass shattering simulation from a guy that works in 3dmax, he did the edges without any imperfection so im adding a noise on the cuts in houdini to get it more realistic.

The thing is, in order to add some detail on the edges, i divided the surface using a DIVIDE sop and then adding the noise via a point vop, everything was working in the static frame, but I realized when I did a flipbook that the divide sop is acting in everyframe, so the topology of the edges changes in every frame.

I don't have any clue how to freeze that topology that i get at frame 1 along the full animation.

Any tip guys!?

Thanks!!!

glassTest.jpg

26 minutes ago, ikoon said:

Hi Miguel, you probably need a Timeshift SOP, Ctrl+Shift+LMB to remove expression and put the desired frame number in the Frame:

image.png.6b30c37cf8f8ecc75bee74fabfcd0a78.png

Yeah, I tried that only freezes the frame, it kills the animation!
I need to keep the new topology made by my noise at frame 1 and keep it along all the sim.

I tried with time shifting on frame 1, doing a rest position and copying it in the simulation, but im not sure if the workflow works like that! haha

Thanks tho!

EDIT: The thing is, if it was my own simulation, i would do all the topology tricks on the static mesh and then simulate it. But in this case, the simulation is already made so I have to find a trick to change that mesh and keeping along all the simulation.

Edited by macj89

46 minutes ago, ikoon said:

Excuse me, I was blind. Here might be a solution with Rest and Subdiv ... I hope that this combination keeps your topology.

Or, it would also help if you have consistent UVs on those imported pieces.

image.thumb.png.d6363252338e38f9b5087804eaddadbf.png

timeshift.hiplc

Yeah! Worked like a charm with subdivide (don't know why it isnt working with the Divide sop tho). Thank you very much!

Im trying to do the same thing with the edge noise without any good result, got the same issue! The noise done by a point vop is changing every frame.

Sorry for being so annoying! hahah

Thank you very much boss.

16 minutes ago, ikoon said:

I am glad that I helped a bit. I am quite lame unfortunately :) I never did this kind of thing. Maybe you should post your scene also for others?

It's a production thing, so i can't post it, i will recreate it and post!

Thanks!