Ice Breaking With Groups

kumpa

hi!

Can anyone tell me how to transform individual groups with particles (just like breaking ice tutorial with groups instead of primitives) I allready have groups defined by Connectivity SOP, but i am clueless about how to move them.

tnx

kumpa

• 3 weeks later...
nope, I've tried this too, I don't

think its doable in a practical way.

another one for the wishlist:

'elements' (connected polys, like in max)

& tools that use them.

-cpb

27657[/snapback]

thank you man, i was about to get inferiority complex ! nobody replyed me for ages...sobh..hehe. But there are people here who could help us for sure ;{. I have vague idea how to do it with Conectivity SOP but i cant figure out how to write it down. There is one SOP missing (for me, at least) that should be called GroupTransform SOP.

What you want is a loop operation that will go through each group in turn and move it. It's a bit dirty but easily accomplished with things like Simon Barrick's Loop HDA. Really old threads:

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1643

http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1977

27675[/snapback]

I should point out that that particular setup probably won't work for this. It was designed to write out a piece of geometry and then read it back in at the being of the loop so that any sops applied would be cumulatively applied in a loop. A bit like the Sop solver in dops.

You need a copy stamp loop that will delete out each "chunk" (probably using an attribute or somesuch) and them copy it to a point in your particle system. This is somewhat different, but would be a very handy asset to make. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I should point out that that particular setup probably won't work for this. It was designed to write out a piece of geometry and then read it back in at the being of the loop so that any sops applied would be cumulatively applied in a loop. A bit like the Sop solver in dops.

You need a copy stamp loop that will delete out each "chunk" (probably using an attribute or somesuch) and them copy it to a point in your particle system. This is somewhat different, but would be a very handy asset to make.  :)

27795[/snapback]

hi!

thank you cpb, this solution works for me, but i am sure sibarrick approach might be much faster to work with, especially in case of having many (heavy) objects.Sibarrick, i think this otl should be called Group Transform SOP :rolleyes:

kumpa