Leveraging targetdamping for wires?

Atom

I am playing around with the wire solver and when I read the help it mentions you can supply a point attribute named targetdamping. This is supposed to control some of the bouncyness of the wire. But when I supply the attribute it seems to have no effect on the simulation. Even at multiples of 10x and 100x I see no change in my simulation.

Does anyone know how to leverage these per-point attributes supplied on wire objects?

twisting_wires.gif

First you want to give some positive value to targetstiffness , and that could go to values like 1000 or more for something like rod antenna. Damping is attribute related to evaluation of stiffness through time, once, if, there is some stiffness. Higher damping value is smoother movement but could take longer to calculate. Damping is usually some small value, 0.01 or so. As you probably know,  some values are actually multipliers in case the attribute is created before DOP network. I'm pretty sure targetstiffness in wire object is a multiplier. That is, if you created per point targetstiffness  attribute before DOP network, and value of attribute is let's say 500 and targetstiffness value in wire object is let's say 2, result is 1000.

Another,  brute force approach is to combine the wire solver with Geometry VOP in DOP network, using Blend Solver. In Geometry VOP you just import the non-simulated P value and blend it with P in DOP network. At full blend of P value, and by multiplying the velocity down to zero, your sim will just stick back to original geometry. Anyway that's really brute force, as it introduces another solver (geometry VOP) into mix, with risk of unstable simulation.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the detailed info, that helps a lot. I also got a tip that you may need to increase substeps to see some of these per-point attributes have an affect.

Still playing around with the settings...

For my scene I have discovered I need very large numbers. In this animation stiffness is set to 100million and damping set to 10million. With min substeps set to 2.

twisting_wires.gif

Edited by Atom