Hdk Starting

Oh, and please feel free to add or edit any info on the Wiki that might make this easier for future developers:)

27225[/snapback]

I readed, is the same for v.7 that is for v.8?, anyway I'm a begginer in HDK but I want to start working with it, don't know how tostart... :tumbleweed:

Guest xionmark
I do have to use visual studio 2003 or visualc++. net 2003?

27261[/snapback]

Hi,

I believe you should use .NET 2003.

--Mark

• 6 months later...
what about Linux ?... I'm also going to start my journey into HDK things... and I have no clue on where to start :D... oh .. i'm on Linux only (possibily)........

"Linux only" is a VERY VERY good thing for HDK development, in my opinion. Once Houdini's installed, and you run hdkinstall, you're essentially done.

Your best place to get started is here:

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fi...p;versionid=318

After that, you can look at the sample code that's provided with Houdini, but you'll quickly find it limited. After that, come back here to OdForce where enough people before you have bashed their heads against the wall trying to get the HDK to work for them that you won't have to ;)

Cheers!

"Linux only" is a VERY VERY good thing for HDK development, in my opinion. Once Houdini's installed, and you run hdkinstall, you're essentially done.

Your best place to get started is here:

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fi...p;versionid=318

After that, you can look at the sample code that's provided with Houdini, but you'll quickly find it limited. After that, come back here to OdForce where enough people before you have bashed their heads against the wall trying to get the HDK to work for them that you won't have to ;)

Cheers!

Agreed. Under Linux it's much easier and way more convenient (speaking in terms compairingf *nix Shell and Windows Command Line... yeak - can they really be compaired?) + You don't have to install extra ~1.5Gb or more of VisStudio (mostlly useless for general hdk use) data.

Agreed. Under Linux it's much easier and way more convenient (speaking in terms compairingf *nix Shell and Windows Command Line... yeak - can they really be compaired?) + You don't have to install extra ~1.5Gb or more of VisStudio (mostlly useless for general hdk use) data.

Luckily there exists Cygwin... though it doesn't help the installing VC part for windows.

thanks a lot for your "startup tips" guys.. .really appreciated... now gotta go bringing back my C++ book then? :D guess so ... btw... I tried to compile the samples with the .sh script.. and I've got load of warnings... I know its usually "safe" to ignore most of those warnings.. but.. since they comes from SideFX samples... cant be anyting related to the GCC version?..... using 4.1 here with FC5.

thanks a lot.

[one' date=Nov 24 2006, 02:29 PM' post='32261]

thanks a lot for your "startup tips" guys.. .really appreciated... now gotta go bringing back my C++ book then? :D guess so ... btw... I tried to compile the samples with the .sh script.. and I've got load of warnings... I know its usually "safe" to ignore most of those warnings.. but.. since they comes from SideFX samples... cant be anyting related to the GCC version?..... using 4.1 here with FC5.

thanks a lot.

Can you post an example of the warnings?

sure..

[jclaude@hummer SOP]$ ./sample_install.sh
This is a sample install script.
First, make the DSO files.
Making SOP_BlindData.o and /home/jclaude/houdini8.1/dso/SOP_BlindData.so from SOP_BlindData.C
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Floor.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSfloorIL(fpreal32)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Floor.h:52: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-ali asing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSfastRandom(uint&)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:663: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-ali asing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSrandom(uint&)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:673: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-ali asing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSfastRandomZero(uint&)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:682: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-ali asing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSrandomZero(uint&)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:692: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-ali asing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/OP/OP_Node.h: At global scope:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/OP/OP_Node.h:1136: warning: unused parameter ‘dest’
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/OP/OP_Node.h:1138: warning: unused parameter ‘dest’
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/OP/OP_Node.h:1138: warning: unused parameter ‘parm_idx’
Making SOP_CopRaster.o and /home/jclaude/houdini8.1/dso/SOP_CopRaster.so from SOP_CopRaster.C
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Floor.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSfloorIL(fpreal32)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Floor.h:52: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSfastRandom(uint&)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:663: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSrandom(uint&)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:673: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSfastRandomZero(uint&)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:682: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h: In function ‘fpreal32 SYSrandomZero(uint&)’:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/SYS/SYS_Math.h:692: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/OP/OP_Node.h: At global scope:
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/OP/OP_Node.h:1136: warning: unused parameter ‘dest’
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/OP/OP_Node.h:1138: warning: unused parameter ‘dest’
/home/jclaude/H_8.1/toolkit/include/OP/OP_Node.h:1138: warning: unused parameter ‘parm_idx’

[....] (almost the same for every other sample SOP)

using bash shell (if does matters)...

NOTE: "/home/jclaude/H_8.1/" mentioned above is a symlink to /opt/hfs8.1.775 (or latest build i wanna use in /opt)