Sim still cooks even after cache

bentway23

Hello!

So this weekend I cached a FEM simulation and it went swimmingly--sort of. Okay, I didn't do a .sim cache, but a .bgeo.sc cache.

The problem is that the file node I have set up in the project to read the cache doesn't read what was written--it keeps recooking all the finite elements, even though it is not hooked up to anything except for the cache directory. (I even tried switching the file cache node I used to write it to "load from disk," and it still wants to recook everything.

I pulled the cache into an empty file and it loads beautifully, so I know it actually cached fine. The next step in the project is to pull it in and use it to deform the original hi-res geo.

How can I tell the project to stop cooking and just read what it wrote?

Thanks for any help, as always--

**Addendum** - creating a whole fresh new file read node worked fine. I guess at some point Houdini nodes get tired and forget where they are? At any rate, I would love to know what I clicked that made it so forgetful, so I know how to fix it when I screw up again.

**Addendum to the Addendum** - the new file node worked fine, until I went out of that subnet and back in, and then it started doing the cooking again. So, still not fixed, and the file nodes are still forgetting themselves.

Edited by bentway23
Added information

Thanks! It's even more ornery than that--I actually had to dive into my DOP network and disconnect my FEM solver for it to stop trying to re-solve. I'm used to Maya's "enable" switch, for which there doesn't seem to be a corollary in Houdini. (This is not a criticism of Houdini, just an observation.) Fortunately, disconnecting and reconnecting things is simple enough.