That Cgtalk Lighting Challenge

Maybe we should open a new thread for this if there is enough interest.

I really dont want to hijack Jasons thread .

Sven

27982[/snapback]

Hey wait a sec, I hijacked it!! "It was ME!!!" :P

Seriously, that's a very good idea to have a place where everybody could just throw what they produce using vops or vex, from beginners to pros, ready shaders and shaders with problems to solve.

Perhaps the easiest way would be to add new topic to the forum and each thread would concern one shader.

So ... "shader bazaar"?

Perhaps the easiest way would be to add new topic to the forum and each thread would concern one shader.

So ... "shader bazaar"?

Hmmm... that might be better than just silently adding to the wiki. That way modifications/enhancements can be discussed openly in the shader's thread, before moving it to the wiki as a final repository. The wiki is not a very good format for open discussions, but it *is* a good target location for anything considered "finished".

Jason already set up a template for shader submissions at the wiki -- it's definitely a good idea to use a template like that so all submissions have a uniform presentation and people searching know what to expect. Some examples of empty templates are here and here

Yup, I think one thread per shader at the forums, with a final wiki destination for the finished product would be a good idea.

What i more thought of because many users prefer to use vops is writting more high level vop nodes together with a vopnet that uses them . For example the anisotropic reflection shader youve written for DaJuice if you had coded this as vop nodes e.g. a UniformHemisphere node , brdf_anisotropic node , illum_anisotropic node ... and then just put them together in an vopnet DaJuice would be able to modify the vopnet (like adding a surface texture or whatever ) without the need to understand or change your code .

Sven

What i more thought of because many users prefer to use vops is  writting more high level vop nodes together with a vopnet that uses them.

Yes, every non-trivial shader will make use of lower-level functions. The rvHemi() function that shows up in that example is actually one member in a library of such random variate functions, some of which make use of yet other vex libraries and/or dso's, and so on.

Wrapping each one of those as a VOP is not a bad idea (I do that all the time so other people may use them at work for example), but it is *very* time consuming -- just think of writing help for each parameter of each vop...

That's where the "community" part of "community effort" can come into play -- people can pitch in with vop wrappers, icons, help cards, filing to wiki, arranging sub-functions into libraries, conversions to RSL, MR, etc.

Unless you have all the time in the world, this kind of heavy duty "prettyfication" is unlikely to be done (to everyone's satisfaction) by the original submitter -- after all, designing the core algorithm *does* take a significant amount of time all on its own ;)

I can tell you right now, it's highly unlikely that I'd personally be submitting vops -- it's just time economics.

Yup, I think one thread per shader at the forums, with a final wiki destination for the finished product would be a good idea.

27989[/snapback]

I'll enthusuatically agree. We can add a sub-forum to Rendering called Shaders?

Okay, this forum exists now. We'll need to have a kick off :)

27997[/snapback]

Wooohooo! :)

OK. I commit to submitting a few glass shaders as soon as I have some time -- I'm currently under a huge production crunch, but I'll add it as I find the time.

Cheers!

Okay, this forum exists now. We'll need to have a kick off :)

27997[/snapback]

Thats great!

I should post something simple shortly.

I hope the community will be active, there already are many shaders in different places worth posting there.