RBD Fracture Geo - Retain UVs

Hey, so I was curious how some of you may approach this - fracturing some dirty geometry (feels nightmarish so far). Tried cleaning it up procedurally as best I could - filling lots of open holes, and vdbfracture to retain uvs. But starting to suffer some errors that I can't seem to decypher. Only thing atm in my head is do this process per connected piece and distribute fracturing based on area. But major head ache just seems working with non water tight models and fixing them crudely then getting to all these areas of trouble for simulation or fracturing, not sure if there's a better solution other than model it water tight to begin with.

Here's just a segment of it. I feel I'm perhaps over complicating it in my head.

Well cheers if any help :)

max_rbd_fracturing_scenario.hiplc

Edited by MaximumsProductions

Preparing geo is usually the most time consuming part of destruction.  A few nodes you can look into gamedev thicken, gamedev voxel mesh, or remesh. Also take a look at the solution by spencer here:

Also, what changes to the geo you make you can always attribute transfer your original uvs onto. 

Edited by benne5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks benne5! I see! Okay that's a lot more comforting, for that to be most time consuming part, thought I lost my week to something that could be solved by a few nodes and a button, perhaps getting manual and less procedural is the solution here sometimes.. Yeah I saw this one! was really neat, I think this further points toward my geo, as I have some holes that double up or are multiple axis'd.

Also these sops you recommended me are giving me some ideas :) before I submit to manually fixing some of this. Thank you.

Edited by MaximumsProductions