Displace Ocean Spectrum on Deformed Mesh

karanjaura

Hi Guys !

Need your help in solving an issue I'm stuck on,doing this wave RnD for a project,I need to add small detail thru displacement, thought ocean Spectrum might do the trick but its giving me weird result :(

Is there any way I can use ocean Spectrum for this ?or if anyone can suggest some other technique to do the same.

Attaching my sample hip file,the HDR map, test render and the ref. I'm following.

Would really appreciate if anyone can give me some head-ups :)

Cheers Karan ! 

DawnTreader_Framestore_Wave.jpg

red_hill_curve_1k.hdr

waveDisplace_RnD_ODFORCE.hip

waveRnD_ODFORCE.jpeg

6 minutes ago, anim said:

you can watch this masterclass

it has a lot of information about ocean spectrum, wave instancing, hero waves, ...

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/houdini-16-ocean-tools/

also you can have a look at this for wave instancing examples

Hi Tomas thanks for the quick reply.

I already saw the master class but no luck with that too as the method they showed was based on grid but in my case I am using a custom shaped geometry(the above hip one is just a dummy mesh).

but the ODFORCE link you shared might seem to do the trick ,will try that out and see where it takes me :) and share the progress.

Thanks a lot

karan

43 minutes ago, anim said:

you can watch this masterclass

it has a lot of information about ocean spectrum, wave instancing, hero waves, ...

https://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/houdini-16-ocean-tools/

also you can have a look at this for wave instancing examples

Hey Tomas 

I tried your method but its not working on my mesh :(

Not sure whats the problem I am getting the same results I was getting before.

Would really appreciate if you can have a look at the file 

oceanSpectrum.jpg

waveDisplace_RnD_ODFORCE_v01.hip

it's just small tweaks:

- delete N from your geo before applying Ocean Evaluate

- increase Ocean Spectrum/Grid Size to maybe 5

- make sure you are not scattering points on deforming surface, scatter on single held frame, and use Attribute Interpolate to interpolate their positions and N

- also make sure the point reference frames are stable during your deformation and that the axes point in directions as described in that thread or in the masterclass, to get wind in the correct direction 

4 hours ago, anim said:

it's just small tweaks:

- delete N from your geo before applying Ocean Evaluate

- increase Ocean Spectrum/Grid Size to maybe 5

- make sure you are not scattering points on deforming surface, scatter on single held frame, and use Attribute Interpolate to interpolate their positions and N

- also make sure the point reference frames are stable during your deformation and that the axes point in directions as described in that thread or in the masterclass, to get wind in the correct direction 

thanks for the pointers,its def.getting somewhere but still the deformations are not proper :(

having these weird horizontal lines which are showing up in the mesh not sure what is causing that.

is that because Im not able to understand your 4th pointer ? or its a uv issue ? as the ocean spectrum motion is not smooth,but I followed the thread and I guess the axes are pointing in the right direction.

"- also make sure the point reference frames are stable during your deformation " ...could you pls throw some light on this ? :) 

oceanSpectrum_v01.jpg

waveDisplace_RnD_ODFORCE_v02.hip

waveRnD_anim.gif

waveRnD_ODFORCE_v01.jpeg

3 hours ago, karanjaura said:

having these weird horizontal lines which are showing up in the mesh not sure what is causing that.

they are showing because your geo is way denser long Y axis than along the horizontal Z

so it receives much more detail from the spectrum in Y and therefore it looks like horizontal lines

try to have more or less uniform density on your mesh resolution, so for example set your subdivide2/Depth parameter to 1 and convert2/V to 7

however this should not be a problem once you use the spectrum at rendertime as a displacement as the mesh will be rediced

3 hours ago, karanjaura said:

"- also make sure the point reference frames are stable during your deformation " ...could you pls throw some light on this ?

currently you have only N on your mesh, inherited to points,  and the reference frame is computed using up of {0,1,0} for all the points, which especially in this scenario may cause points X axis to flip when N aligns with up vector and passes to the other side

you can see the point reference frames when you put display flag on oceanSpectrum node

Edited by anim

On 1/19/2019 at 12:07 AM, anim said:

currently you have only N on your mesh, inherited to points,  and the reference frame is computed using up of {0,1,0} for all the points, which especially in this scenario may cause points X axis to flip when N aligns with up vector and passes to the other side

thanks alot for your inputs,the deformation is getting better now for sure but still I have no clue about how would I stablize the points knowing the fact that my geometry is deforming.

I have scatterd the points on static mesh only, but if I turn on Attribute Interpolate is cause my mesh to flicker,while bypassing it the ocean spectrum is behaving the way it should.

waveDisplace_RnD_ODFORCE_v03.hipnc

waveRnD_ODFORCE.0002.jpeg

• Like 2