Synergy Crashing

Jason

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this happens for anyone else or not, but it seems like "synergys" (Synergy Server) crashes when I use Houdini these days. (Linux RH9). I have used for quite some time but then I started noticing that synergy would just stop working during a Houdini session. I blamed my Windows (client) machine, naturally; but then I noticed that synergys on my Linux machine was just quitting.

Now I'm pretty convinced that it quits soon after I start using Houdini on my Linux box. Has anyone else noticed this?

Cheers,

Jason

PS. I also have strange MMB behaviour at home using my Logitec Lazer-mouse on Windows2000 where any MMB click takes about 4 secs to kick in and then often lock in this state for a while - and this is only when I use Houdini. This makes Houdini pretty unusable on my home machine. I was wondering if Houdini was doing something with the pointer which freak out the Logitec drivers and Synergy? I was hoping to hear of anyone else's troubles before bugging SESI about this.

PPS. I'm talking about the excellent open-source Synergy mouse/keyboard sharing utility: Synergy Site

I'm not sure if this happens for anyone else or not, but it seems like "synergys" (Synergy Server) crashes when I use Houdini these days. (Linux RH9).  I have used for quite some time but then I started noticing that synergy would just stop working during a Houdini session. I blamed my Windows (client) machine, naturally; but then I noticed that synergys on my Linux machine was just quitting.

I use Synergy every day between my linux box and a windows2k laptop.

Linux: CentOS release 4.1 (Final)

Synergys: 1.1.10 (server running under linux)

It's been remarkably stable for me actually. My synergy version is pretty out of date, probably been running this setup for a year or so w/out much problem. Maybe newer versions of synergy are buggy? I don't know what features you'd loose if you versioned back.

BTW, I'm also running H8.0.383

-Daniel

It's been remarkably stable for me actually.  My synergy version is pretty out of date, probably been running this setup for a year or so w/out much problem.  Maybe newer versions of synergy are buggy?  I don't know what features you'd loose if you versioned back. 

BTW, I'm also running H8.0.383

I've tried all versions of Synergy with no marked improvement, unfortunately. I'm on 8.0.589 and so it might seem like something in Houdini has changed a bit since 8.0.383. It's a little odd because Synergy doesn't crash immediately; it takes a while. I'm still trying to figure out why.

Ah well, I'll keep looking.

hi !

i also own laser logitech g5, and i am experiencing same problem only it just stays pressed down. In addition to that, sometimes when i press MMB, it wants to scroll down, what annoys me as well. I am running ubuntu 5.10, and i have intel mb.

kumpa

You could try and run the server on the windows side instead?

d

28062[/snapback]

The Windows side is my laptop and my linux is my Linux workstation. I can't imagine having to use a tiny keyboard and the two-button touchpad on my laptop to control my pointer on my dual monitor linux box ;)

I'd have to set an an additional mouse and keyboard to my laptop every day I bring it in and then what do I need Synergy for then? (besides the cut&pastel... which is cool...).

If Houdini is messing with Logitec drivers and crashing Synergy then perhaps there it's being a little brutal or unorthodox somewhere along the line?

The Windows side is my laptop and my linux is my Linux workstation. I can't imagine having to use a tiny keyboard and the two-button touchpad on my laptop to control my pointer on my dual monitor linux box ;) 

28187[/snapback]

Ah right, of course. I was under the impression that you could have the laptop host but still drive from the Linux side. Not sure why I thought that was possible

d

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on this:

It seems like my synergy crashing has disappeared :-D -but I'm not terribly sure if it was that SESI addressed something in later builds of 8.1 or if it was related in my own switch from RH9 to FC4. I suspect the latter.