get outside shape

saca

hi,

the background object has some parts.
ex) tree, house , Rock, snow, cliff , ... and so on.

they has some intersectes each surface, and empty space.

How we get outside-shape?(one-skin-mesh, like one-Volume.)

Boolean or VDB_Combine?

I cannot delete inside empty space.

any options?

thanks.

house.png

Greetings , 

If this is for 2d bg like in the image one way i think can solve this is by extracting the longest border . Game Dev tools has great extract border tool that can help . then Measure the area of each connected prim ( sumed  for each connected )  , and delete all prims that dont have the maximum perimeter , leaving only the longest prim which is likely the outside border . attached is image showing an example of the node structure : 

houdini_remove_interior_holes_20190205.thumb.jpg.85ec48295014a605ed1c37541f669745.jpg

in case the actual scene your working with is 3d and not a 2d background can apply similar method of only keeping the largest connected primitive ( thus discarding the separate interiors ) . 

For Each Connected Prim > Measure Area > Promote Area to detail ( SUM ) > promote Area back to prims ( first match ) . Then after the for each loop Promote Area to Detail ( Maximum ) and remove prims that dont have the largest area 

VDB should do the trick. Booleans are also good option. Probably I'd used booleans for exterior part, and VDB for interior with some peak node usage (like a push in max, inflate in zbrush) and combined it with exterion via boolean/union.

Also convexhull may help in some cases. It really depends in a given situation