How to reload .sim files

ronit1996

Hi, I am doing a smoke sim. The sim is too large and so I can't simulate the entire sim in one go. I had checked the checkpoint option and gave a valid path to save the checkpoints files then simed half of the simulation and had closed houdini. I want to sim the rest of the simulation but where do I put the .sim files that are generated by the checkpoint so that the sim runs from a certain frame and not from frame 1 all over again?

If you have sim files written out, then they should automatically be written as you play the sim. Then you can stop the sim early, and you can resume from where you left off. The thing you need to check is that the last working sim file is a full size. If you have a partially written file, it will break the reading of the sim files. In that case, you should delete the last broken frame, ctrl+click the brain icon, and then resume the sim - it should resume from the last working sim. If it doesn't, then you have some checkpoint writing settings incorrect. If this still doesn't help you, post a hip file, and I'll see how you are writing it.

Ya, thats the wrong workflow. What you need to do is, on the cache tab of the dop network, specify a .sim file path in the Checkpoint File parameter. Make sure to include $SF.sim instead of $F4.bgeo, since we are dealing with simulation frames here.  Make sure Save Checkpoints is enabled, then change the Checkpoint Trail length to the length of your sim or longer. After that, as you play the sim, the .sim files will automatically be written out, allowing you to playblast and cache at the same time. Then, when you want to continue the sim, just make sure the last .sim file written is a full file size. Finally, ctrl+click the brain icon, and you should be able to resume the sim.