Setting or changing parameters with VEX

Krion

Hi.

A little basic question when reading the documentation:

I assume you can only access the parameters of the node in which the VEX snippet lives? On the right, i tried changing the 'size' of the box, but it doesn't work. Of course it needs a path.

And i assume you can't change/write the parameters that are above the current Wrangle node with something like ch(), right?

5c794fcf34828_Screenshot2019-03-01at16_19_37.thumb.png.9e29bd9cdf1f1636106523b965d8f3a1.png

Thanks.

Edited by DévinOdforce

17 minutes ago, DévinOdforce said:

assume you can only access the parameters of the node in which the VEX snippet lives? On the right, i tried changing the 'size' of the box, but it doesn't work. Of course it needs a path.

And i assume you can't change/write the parameters that are above the current Wrangle node with something like ch(), right?

first of all you can't change parameter values with VEX at all

to access them you need to use ch(), chi(), chf(), ... this way you can access any parameter from the scene, however I'd advise only accessing parameters directly on the Wrangle and channel reference others in them if you need to to properly track the dependencies

21 minutes ago, DévinOdforce said:

when reading the documentation

that part is super specific to VEXpressions, it's just because many of the parameters on such nodes (mostly POP DOPs) are actually referenced in the VOPnet and passed through snippet as arguments of the same names, therefore it seems that you can access those parameters and alter them, while in reality you are modifying a variable passed to the snippet and initialized wit the parameter value, then the result of the snippet is used 

dive into any of those nodes to observe how it's all connected

• Thanks 1