Copy geo to points and vary scale in each direction

Hello, first post here.

I'm trying to do something that seems simple but I just cannot figure it out.

I'd like to take a piece of geometry and copy it to points, and randomize scale in each direction to give it some variation.  I've tried using rand() a number of different ways, in a for-each loop, but any time I apply a random change to scale in X, Y and Z each copy ends up looking identical.

It's probably dead easy but I'm stuck!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Well I couldn't make it work in a for-loop, but I scrapped it and just used a point wrangle on the points coming in to the copytopoints with this:

v@scale = 1;
v@scale.x = rand(@elemnum);
v@scale.y = rand(@id);
v@scale.z = rand(@ptnum);

I guess the key is varying the random element between each component, rather than using the same one...

Yep, you got it :) Although instead of using three separate attributes, you can use '@id+123', '@id+456', '@id+789' for the x, y and z random seeds (or any other values you see fit). The rand() function just uses the seed you give it to generate a value from 0 to 1.

9 hours ago, bootshank said:

Well I couldn't make it work in a for-loop, but I scrapped it and just used a point wrangle on the points coming in to the copytopoints with this:

v@scale = 1;
v@scale.x = rand(@elemnum);
v@scale.y = rand(@id);
v@scale.z = rand(@ptnum);

I guess the key is varying the random element between each component, rather than using the same one...

For simple cases you can use an Attribute Randomize SOP.