Copy trace node and change file path

Hi, first time user and noob here. 

I'm trying to create Trace nodes dynamically using the Copy and Transform node but I want to be able to change the file path after the copy so I can iterate through a sequence of images and create a trace node for each one. So overriding the file path after creation I imagine. 

I've been digging through documentation but can't seem to figure out how I can do that. I assume I'm approaching this in the wrong way so any advice on which direction I should look into would be appreciated. 

Edited by bob_gnarly
Grammar

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, you want to make sure your image sequence is named in a way houdini will understand by default. That's normally name.framenumber.suffix, eg 'traceme.0001.jpg'. You'll know its worked when you use the houdini file browser and it collapses your sequence into a single entry.

Anyway once you have that, the trace will update so that you can move the time slider and see the trail update. You can then generate trails, timeshift to lock to the last frame, so now you'll have all your trace frames overlaid at the origin. With some attribute tricks you can splay the traced shapes out.

Attached an example that might help, I used a copnet to generate a 12 frame sequence, dive inside the copnet and click render on the final node, when you jump up a level and view the final node, you should see a mosaic of traced images.

trace_sequence.hip

trace_sequence_mosaic.gif.f7b2de07349f600716efd32dbf51e7aa.gif

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mestela said:

If I'm understanding your problem correctly, you want to make sure your image sequence is named in a way houdini will understand by default. That's normally name.framenumber.suffix, eg 'traceme.0001.jpg'. You'll know its worked when you use the houdini file browser and it collapses your sequence into a single entry.

Anyway once you have that, the trace will update so that you can move the time slider and see the trail update. You can then generate trails, timeshift to lock to the last frame, so now you'll have all your trace frames overlaid at the origin. With some attribute tricks you can splay the traced shapes out.

Attached an example that might help, I used a copnet to generate a 12 frame sequence, dive inside the copnet and click render on the final node, when you jump up a level and view the final node, you should see a mosaic of traced images.

trace_sequence.hip

trace_sequence_mosaic.gif.f7b2de07349f600716efd32dbf51e7aa.gif

Thank you so much. You made quite a lot of effort on my behalf... really greatful for that. Your example looks exactly like what I've been looking for. I'll take a look when I go back to my computer soon. 

I thought maybe it required using a COP network but got stuck trying to figure out how I can create a mesh from each iteration. 

Thanks again. \m/ :) \m/