Why does the merge node output only one of its inputs when exporting?

Beginner question, but I'm a bit confused as to how the merge node is supposed to work. I'm trying to export my scene as GLTF. My scene contains one geometry node with 2 primitive nodes inside (box and sphere) connected to a merge node. When I try to export, only the sphere shows up in the GLTF file. I've read merge node documentation but I still can't discern the behavior of "merge". The docs say Bypassing this node causes it to only export the first input. It will not compute the merged objects. which describes what I'm seeing, but I don't have the bypass flag activated. Also, why does the merge node seem to have a "favorite" or "primary" input?

I assume that a mismatched attribute that is essential to your network is being overwritten or deleted. The merge should successfully prepare multiple objects for export. When it says bypassing this node causes it to export the first input, they mean disabling the node itself. Since you aren't doing that, I'd suggest trying to write out each part and seeing if that works first.

Each primitive exports correctly if I delete the other. How do I identify mismatched attributes? If I add an Object Merge node before my export node and select "Pack Geometry Before Merging" both objects export correctly. Why is this required?

That's odd. Well packing just changes how it is exported. I have run into mismatched attributes causing that kind of error. When you pack the objects, the attributes get stored inside the pack, so that might be why it exports correctly when you pack (it avoids the mismatched attribute problem). This is hypothetical, but I was running into the same issue the last couple days. In my case, I just wrote out the alembics separately. You can see mismatched attributes on the merge, there will be a little warning on it that declares which attributes are mismatched. One test would be wiping all attributes on both objects, merging, and writing them out without packing and see if that works.