cache out points seqeunces with top network

Hey!

I'm trying to setup a top network which is pretty simple. I have a dop network where I simulate points, and I have a top network to wedge the seed of the pop source. Now I would like to cache out those wedges, and ideally gather them all together to render. I found examples on how to render the points straight away, but nothing that tells me how to cache them. I tried the rop geometry output in top with no luck. anyone that can help me with that?

thanks!

Hey Ben

I managed to make it work using external sop, the only thing I-m havnig is that once simulated it looses the $JOB or $HIP...it-s caching out but in my documents folder rather than the project. also because is reading a previously cached velocity field since it has no $JOB is not erading it...I wonder if I have to do something to propagate variables to TOPs

Your not really supposed to use $JOB or $HIP with the TOP network. The preference originally was $PDG_DIR. $HIP really looses all sense of meaning, because there really is no .hip when being distributed. It will work in cases like when your current session is open as there is an active Houdini file. $JOB should theoretically work if you rare defining it in 123.py or in the shell prior to launch like $HSITE or $HOUDINI_PATH. If you use attributes in TOPs you should have a better ability to defined stuff. 

awww ok got it, too bad you can't use $JOB. I mean for me it makes sense to design a setup for a single iteration, and take advantage of $JOB for caching. then incorporate the setup in TOPs without changing too much from the original setup. shouldn't be too dificult to transfer variables to TOPs processes in my opinion...now I can use $PDG_DIR or hardcode the caching folders...

You could define an equivalent variable with attributes in TOPs. Using 123.py or 456.py should get you what you want. I've actually never used $JOB in production for cache directories for instance. Cache directories are always in a custom directory with a semi unique file structure.